cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 20

FTTP Installation Feedback

Hello everyone.

I had an installation performed last week and just wanted to get some feedback about the installation. It was performed by a Kelly engineer.

After the engineer had left, I took a closer look at the incoming hole and noticed there was no seal/grommet. The hole leads into the plasterboard, the internal wall, a cavity then out of the external wall. I'm a bit concerned about moisture/damp (warm air/cool air) and insects (!). The hole is directly below the RJ45 socket and the fibre has an awkward bend/loop as it goes into the optical socket.

ONT_1a.jpgONT_2a.jpg

I was expecting a conduit to be used between the two walls and a grommet/cap on either side. Is this only used on certain installations or did the engineer forget to use it?

There is a bit of a larger-than-expected hole on the external rendered wall but, to the engineer's credit, he did use some silicone sealant and put some fragments back. Other than the silicone, there is no seal or grommet outside either.

Being slightly annoyed over the weekend, I raised a complaint with BT. This was probably overzealous but as no-one has responded yet, I could close the complaint. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

0 Ratings
19 REPLIES 19
Message 2 of 20

Re: FTTP Installation Feedback

That looks like a normal install. They don't use conduit and grommets so I don't know where you get that from.

There looks nothing wrong with the bend radius of the fibre optic cable either.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 20

Yes - the loop is okay but my installation has a grommet on the inside.

It don't think it acceptable either to use sealer outside, unless the damage is very minimal. A cable entry cap of some sort should be used.

I would keep the complaint going.

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings icon. If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted solution’
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 20

Thank you for the replies.

I probably haven't used the correct terminology but I believe its called a Lead In Kit. This contains the pipe (conduit) and covers/caps (grommets) to cover the holes on either side.

Here is an image to show you what I mean.

2-4.jpg

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 20

Yep. That is like my installation.

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings icon. If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted solution’
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 20

As TheElectron said they normally fit what’s in that picture, it’s called an ‘Internal Lead In Kit’.

They’re unavailable at present and Openreach are waiting on a new supply of them.

Last I heard they had a back order of over 10,000.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 20

Thank you for your input Starwire.

If an Internal Lead In Kit hasn't been used, would this be a valid issue to raise with Openreach via BT?

Also, would Openreach have any issues with the way the fibre presently enters the wall and bends into the ONT?

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 20

Nowt wrong with the bend on that Fibre.

Only issue is, is the hole is to close to the ONT now so to fit an Internal Lead In Kit you’d have to shift the ONT up a few inches, which may expose the original drill holes.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 20

A quick update to give this thread some closure.

I hadn't received any response from BT but raised this with Openreach last week. Two Kelly engineers visited this morning, which was a surprise but I did miss their calls yesterday.

I discussed the installation with them and I was told that the lead-in kit isn't used when the entry point is close to the ONT and the gap around the internal fibre entry-point (leading to the cavity) is not a problem. I'm not convinced the lack of an internal seal/cap is a good idea but its probably not worth pursuing this any further.

I originally expected the hole to be roughly 60mm underneath the optical socket, rather than directly below the RJ45 socket, but was told that bend would be unsafe for the fibre as it went up to the ONT. They did say that they could drill a hole where I preferred it to be but if there were any issues with the fibre, it would be my responsibility (or something to that effect).

They did put up a brick-blaster cover on the external entry point so that does look neater now.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 20

IMG_0042.jpegI think they are giving you a bit of flannel there. It may be they did not have the lead in kit, either originally or now, but in any event I am not sure there is space for one now.

A hole that size will allow ingress/egress of a variety bugs and beasties.  I would carefully seal it with non setting decorator’s caulk or buy a cable entry grommet, split it and carefully place it around the cable. Obviously if you damage the cable then BT would charge to repair, so if in doubt leave it. 

0 Ratings