cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dk1uk
Contributor
Message 1 of 11

FTTP Installation Tomorrow

Hi - I’m getting ultrafast installed tomorrow. An OpenReach engineer visited last week to feed a new cable from the manhole cover in the street into the garage.

But, a couple of questions:

- I’ve just received a text from BT with a link to a site which says that I need to make sure the SmartHub they’ve sent me is connected to the modem...but they haven’t sent me a modem and there’s not one already installed. Should I ask them to send me one?

- On my current set-up, I have a extend my Wi-Fi signal by having an old HH5 connected to a LAN port on the main HH6. On the new setup, would I connect the HH5 to the new modem or to new SmartHub?

Many thanks.
0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 11

Re: FTTP Installation Tomorrow

The Openreach engineer will install the ONT (modem).

Keep the arrangement as it is now, connect the HH5 to the SmartHub.

dk1uk
Contributor
Message 3 of 11

Many thanks for the quick answers!!

One other thing, is it likely that the service will be live straight after installation or is there normally a few hours delay?

Thanks again.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 11

That I can't help with I'm afraid. Might be worth talking to the FTTP team on 0800 587 4787

Sage
Sage
Message 5 of 11

Should be live before engineer leaves.

Starwire
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 11

Yeah, it’ll work straight away.

Well providing the Network and Profile Build have been done correctly prior to the Installation Engineers visit.
dk1uk
Contributor
Message 7 of 11

It’s live! A couple of oddities happened such as phones not staying connected to Wi-Fi (via the 2 HHs that I use as access points). I haven’t changed any of the settings on the acccess points, other than turning them off and on again.

Is there any reason that I can’t use a HH5 as an access point with FTTP connected to a Smart Hub 2?
0 Ratings
Highlighted
dk1uk
Contributor
Message 8 of 11

Hmmm, have also noticed that both HH acting as APs are on Channel 1. Is that right? It doesn’t seem to have caused any issues in nearly a year but still...
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 11

Just turn off smart wireless and set the channels manually. It's probably best to have the aps and hub all on different channels to avoid interference
dk1uk
Contributor
Message 10 of 11

Thank you! And if I change the channels, do I need to re-start any devices that are using Wi-Fi or will they just connect automatically?
0 Ratings