cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 5

FTTP Installation Want to Clip Cable to Fence Instead of Using Current Underground Connection

As the title suggests I have ordered FTTP to be installed this week to my parents home and someone has come without warning last week and dug up the pavement leading to our garden. After asking the engineer what this was they told my mum (who had no clue) they were going to clip the fibre cable to a fence at the side of our property and continued to do the work despite her telling them this would not be possible as it isn't our fence.

We currently have a BT phone line which is connected underground internally to the property. Our cables come through a pipe in the ground including the current copper BT line under our stairs rather than a master box outside the house which many modern homes have. The fence BT want to use doesn't actually belong to us but the neighbours, and obviously being a fence it's not permanent, its quite old and is planned to be taken down within the next few months. 

What I don't understand is why would it not be possible for the BT engineer to route the new fibre cable via the current phone line to the exchange box? 

I'm a mechanical engineer myself so this seems extremely odd and very unprofessional to be planning to clip a fibre cable to a non-permanent fence on an adjacent property without permission. There seems to have been zero research or thought put into this as a fence can be blow down, replaced and the cable could easily be cut by anyone which would mean Openreach would have to come out every time for repairs or movement of the line as it is technically their property. 

I'd maybe understand if this was the countryside but its a cull de sac in a very developed area. 

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Re: FTTP Installation Want to Clip Cable to Fence Instead of Using Current Underground Connection

Has he not dug down to the duct? Never heard of it being clipped to a fence before.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 5

Re: FTTP Installation Want to Clip Cable to Fence Instead of Using Current Underground Connection

Sounds like a Dig Contractor trying to get away without doing the full dig.

I’m a bit sceptical this ‘Pipe’ as you call it under the stairs is a Duct 56 and is an older type of ridged duct that is to thin to rod and rope. 

A picture would clear it up though.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 5

I believe you're right it's a duct 56 which is very common in Northern Ireland homes. From other forum posts this should be suitable for routing the new cable as many have had the exact same issue and got it resolved.

Our engineer is due to come tomorrow so I will update with more information. 

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 5

Ah NI. It has been posted here previously that the install engineer will arrange for a dig at the outside wall ot the property, cut the pipe and get the fibre through. Decide before he comes where you want the ONT placed inside.

0 Ratings