cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Graham_H
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 16

FTTP New build process?

Hoping someone who's been through this process can shed some light for me. We're moving into a new build Miller house in 2 weeks time, the whole estate is FTTP only so i've been trying in advance to get things sorted so i have service when we move in as i work from home.

So far i've been bashing my head off a brick wall speaking to various people at BT/Openreach and the site manager/marketing person. I've been in the house several times so i know the Openreach ONT box has been installed, site manager confirmed that they do that not Openreach. The actual fibre is currently coiled up just outside my front door and there's a pipe in the ground with a rope attached to it, i assume attached to the rope is the other end of the fibre that runs from the Exchange to the house.

I spoke to BT about 3 weeks ago and apologised for how far in advance it was but i wasn't sure of the process and how long it took, the lady i spoke to was great and said the more notice the better. She took new postcode which "is" registered with Royal Mail but "isn't" registered on BTs system, said 2 departments need to speak to eachother and i should get a callback within 10 days. I waited 14 days and hadn't heard anything so i rang back, guy i spoke to said postcode isn't registed with them therefore nothing can be ordered, and he couldn't do anything about it. A couple of hours later i received a phonecall from someone else at BT asking if I had the New Site Identifier key so she could raise a call with Openreach. Unfortunately i dont have that, the site manager doesn't have it and neither does the Marketing suite, they both said never heard of it. I did try giving BT the postcode of the other street on the estate which is setup but apparently thats no good (same developement, same street, just theirs are finished and moved into) i also tried giving them the serial number from the ONT box.

I've asked the site manager what the process is and got a shrug of the shoulders, just said Openreach usually have a schedule for this but i don't know when they're booked for and there's only 2 engineers in this area who do fibre installs.

Non of this really helps me, the guy at BT did say once the postcode is showing on their system it'll take 4-5 days from ordering to get a service ... not sure how true that is but i need to resolve the outstanding issue of how to get the 2 ends of the fibre connected first 🙂

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
15 REPLIES 15
Sage
Message 2 of 16

Re: FTTP New build process?

You need to get the postcode registration sorted first as the 2 ends won't be connected until that is done. Your developer should be able to get this done for you. They will have a designated person who has contact with Openreach.

Keep pushing the developer to contact Openreach as you cannot do so.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 16

Sounds like the Infrastructure Delivery Engineers haven’t yet finished the Network Build.

They won’t pulling in a cable from the Exchange, FTTP comes from the Head End Exchange that could be 20 miles away so it’ll take a long time to pull it in.

It’ll most likely be the new CBT Fibre, they’ll be a CBT DP in a joint box close by. The ID Engineers will just need to pull in the CBT Cable and splice it onto the EZ Bend Cable installed by the Developer.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Sage
Message 4 of 16

@Starwire2000 I doubt that will be the case as there are other homes on the site already connected and Openreach will have had a 9month lead.

@Graham_H You may wish to refer the site manager to this site. Especially page 3 of the Fibre network development handbook.

https://www.ournetwork.openreach.co.uk/property-development.aspx

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 16

@pippincp....

You sure about that because the guy who wrote the post says,

‘The actual fibre is currently coiled up just outside my front door and there's a pipe in the ground with a rope attached to it.’

Been working in Telecoms most of my adult life and I’m 99.9% sure that sounds like ID haven’t finished the Network Build for this house.
0 Ratings
Sage
Message 6 of 16

@Starwire2000 So you think there's still 20 miles for the fibre to come or that the devlopers haven't informed Openreach of a build stage being completed ready for them?

It could be either but it will be up to the developer to get the info for the OP.

0 Ratings
Graham_H
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 16

Thanks for the replies and information, seems like site still have work to do then. I have a feeling I’ll be moving in with no internet service and this is going to go round in circles for weeks. The long standing site manager has gone on long term sick & his replacement doesn’t really know the site yet beyond the 3 houses he has to get finished this week.

The development is split into 3 streets, the first street has been finished since about August 17 so they’re all moved in and have service, where one street ends our street starts and we’re the 2nd house in, so 1, 2 & 3 are all completing next week.

I had hoped being fibre this would be easier than when we moved into our current house 12 years ago & Persimmon had forgot to put the ducting in for BT so the entire street had to be lifted and it took 7 weeks to get a phone line & internet provision.

0 Ratings
Sage
Message 8 of 16

Sounds like the fault lays with the developer. Keep us posted.

0 Ratings
Graham_H
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 16

Looks like we’ve moved a step closer, address is now visible on BT website so I can select my house. Issue now when I do that is it sits at “We’re checking what you can get” and doesn’t go any further so I still can’t order 🤦🏻‍♂️

0 Ratings
Sage
Message 10 of 16

So that's the postcode sorted out, now see if the FTTP sales team can help and get further info.

0800 587 4787

0 Ratings