cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 5

FTTP ONT Tel 1 port

Hi again,

Can anyone tell me what kind of port the "TEL 1" is? Do I have to have the phone connected to this directly if I want digital voice? As I will have Cat 6 cabling in the house, can I connect it to an RJ45 and place the phone in a more useful location? Or does the phone have to be next to the ONT?

Thanks for your help!

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Re: FTTP ONT Tel 1 port

The Tel1 port was for the now discontinued FVA service. For Digital Voice the superhub is the base station.

Message 3 of 5

As Pippin said it’s was for the FVA Service that Openreach have withdrawn.

All new ONT’s, including those on New Sites don’t come with them anymore as any Voice Service is now solely the responsibility of the CP to provide via VOiP.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 5

Ah I see, so the phones connect to the hub wirelessly meaning the handsets can be in any location?

Back in the day (and still current) the main, analogue cordless phone base station had to be plugged into a BT socket and the satellite handsets can be placed anywhere.

I prefer not to have my "main" handset next to the ONT, if that makes sense.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 5

the SH2 is the new 'base station' and you can place your handsets wherever you want but they need to be able to connect with base station

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings