Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Trunks91
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 11

FTTP Order/Installation Issues

Go to solution

Another FTTP thread but here goes...

So I've been on BT's FTTC Superfast 2 80 Mbps down for almost 2 years now and realised my contract was due to expire this month so I phoned up on the 23rd of August to find out what they could offer me. Ended up ordering a regrade to the new Ultrafast Fibre 2 package. Received my new hub in the post a few days ago and the Engineer (Contractor) came on 04/09 to install the Fibre Line from the telephone pole to the house and the ONT box. The contractor had a horrible attitude and it was clear the guy is a total cowboy. 

He installed the fibre line and the ONT box. When he finished the job he mentioned something about a "Routing Issue" and it would be resolved in 24 hours by itself. Suffice to say this hasn't happened and the PON light is still flashing green exactly as he left it 3 days ago.

I've been in touch with the FTTP team and they contacted Openreach who advised it could take up to 5 working days to fix. Just wondering if anyone has any explanation or advice on what this "Routing Issue" may be? Did overhear the contractor on the phone calling out the ONT S/N and mentioning something about his companies systems being down. Any clarification would be greatly appreciated. 

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Highlighted
Sage
Sage
Message 2 of 11

Re: FTTP Order/Installation Issues

Go to solution

@Starwire is the one to answer this for you. He likes contractors.😎

0 Ratings
Starwire
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 11

Go to solution

Where in the U.K. are you?

Not heard of Contractors Installing FTTP, with the exception of Network Build. Certainly not doing it round my way.

0 Ratings
Trunks91
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 11

Go to solution

@Starwire 

I'm in Belfast, NI. 

His van was marked "KN Circet" I assume that's a subcontractor? 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 11

Go to solution

These, do a web search.

KN Circet (Northern Ireland)

0 Ratings
Starwire
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 11

Go to solution

Ah Northern Ireland. Things work very differently there, it was only a year or so ago you even had Openreach out there, before the Engineers still worked for directly for BT.

In fact I think Openreach Engineers in NI are still paid less than their Great Britain counterparts, which wrong but that’s another story.

0 Ratings
Trunks91
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 11

Go to solution

I just find it infuriating how these big telecoms companies continue to use cowboys for their installations as a cost saving measure. No disrespect to any Telecom subcontractors out there who aren't total mongs but in my personal experience installations via subcontractors always seem to have an issue or a delay whereas directly employed engineers seem to have things working fine on the day of installation. (Based on the 10-12 or so times I've had new lines etc installed over the years, just personal experience and not a fact of course.) Now I could be totally blaming this guy and it could be a fault of Openreach in general or BT for all I know but like I said his whole attitude stunk. 

Openreach informed the BT FTTP Rep who I was on the phone with that the engineer did try later in the day to fix the "Routing Issue" but it was "beyond his ability" at least that's what he put on the job notes. He then passed it back to Openreach hence the up to 5 working days delay in possibly getting it fixed as I assume Openreach now have to pass this onto another engineer. 

Untitled.png

Thought I was getting a broadband upgrade and now I have no broadband, at least for the time being. Ironic eh

0 Ratings
Starwire
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 11

Go to solution

I was king to suggest it sounds like it needed a SASA change but now you mention the second Openreach Engineer it may be an issue at the Head End, which would need a PTO or Fibre Network Engineer to fix.

Good luck.

0 Ratings
Trunks91
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 11

Go to solution

What exactly is a SASA change? Is that at the cabinet? And the Head End thing that would be at the actual exchange yeah? Cheers mate 

0 Ratings
Starwire
Aspiring Expert
Message 10 of 11

Go to solution

SASA. Splitter Array Sub Assembly. Basically you’ll have one Fibre coming from a Port on the Head End in the Exchange, not necessarily the one your phone line comes from. 

That one Fibre goes into the SASA, a small rectangular box and it splits the light using tiny mirrors and 32 Fibres come out the other side, which then go off to individual customers.

Each SASA goes to a specific Port on the Head End. If it’s on the wrong SASA or Port on the Head End it basically won’t work.