cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
OldGoat
Contributor
Message 1 of 20

FTTP - Overhead cable termination

Installing overhead FTTTP service cable in domestic loft space . Now that there's no CSP used at cable entry (it would have been a bit awkward to have one on my roof...) will the overhead cable run into my house to wherever I site the ONT? I read 'somewhere' that the external cable was 'not allowed' to run inside the premises (no reason given). I'm planning (will anyway) to run cable conduit from the entry point in my loft, down to the ONT. No sharp bends and plenty of room to lose any slack. It seems daft to have to strip overhead cable down - thus weakening it anyway - and a continuous cable run would avoid any technician having to enter my loft space (H&S issues?), now or in the future. I'm happy to run the cable myself - supervised of course by the installer.
0 Ratings
19 REPLIES 19
iniltous
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 20

Re: FTTP - Overhead cable termination

External cable isn't as fire retardant as internal cable, that's why you wouldn't run external cable internally , but convert it to internal as soon as practical.

I wouldn't have thought they would go into your loft space, if an  overhead feed, presumably they would attach the cable at height at your property  , then run the cable down the wall to a lower level, then into the property at ground floor through the wall, the ONT sited where the cable appears on the inside

0 Ratings
Sage
Sage
Message 3 of 20

@OldGoat wrote:
Installing overhead FTTTP service cable in domestic loft space . Now that there's no CSP used at cable entry (it would have been a bit awkward to have one on my roof...) will the overhead cable run into my house to wherever I site the ONT? I read 'somewhere' that the external cable was 'not allowed' to run inside the premises (no reason given). I'm planning (will anyway) to run cable conduit from the entry point in my loft, down to the ONT. No sharp bends and plenty of room to lose any slack. It seems daft to have to strip overhead cable down - thus weakening it anyway - and a continuous cable run would avoid any technician having to enter my loft space (H&S issues?), now or in the future. I'm happy to run the cable myself - supervised of course by the installer.

I'd love to know how you are going to run either a connectorised block terminal cable or blow a fibre cable internally. Even better where are you going to get them from and the equipment to do it?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
OldGoat
Contributor
Message 4 of 20

@pippincpwrote:

I'd love to know how you are going to run either a connectorised block terminal cable or blow a fibre cable internally. Even better where are you going to get them from and the equipment to do it?

The short answer is 'I don't know' - that's why I'm here!

In previous relaxed times, many years ago the BT (it was in those days) popped the copper cable through a hole in the wall, I pulled it through and laid it in the loft, fed it through a conduit that I 'prepared earlier' down to where the NTE was to be.

Simples

This time I've  set up a run of  domestic plastic conduit , place the cable in it, clip the cover on and all done. No Openreach staff put at risk during the process (his external ladder is more dangerous than my loft). He can poke his head through the hatch if he wants to supervise...

No need to blow anyhing - that part of the external block cable run anyway isn't it? Running a cable externally down the outside  and jiggling through three rooms just isn't going to work....  

0 Ratings
Sage
Sage
Message 5 of 20

Not external block cable.

Connectorised Block Terminal Fibre cable which connects directly to the ONT.

Have a look at THIS.

0 Ratings
OldGoat
Contributor
Message 6 of 20

@pippincpwrote:

Not external block cable.

Connectorised Block Terminal Fibre cable which connects directly to the ONT.

Have a look at THIS.

Ah - yes, I did  - Thany you, most interesting

(the large but not very deep CSP is now replaced by a smaller but bulky cover plate and I assume by 'connectorised' is meant that there's a run of fibre behind it connected to the ONT?)

Howver it doesn't help me with my overhead cable problem. Either the latest version is fire resistant and so can be run inside the building - or does 'connectorise' mean a plug and socket arrangement between the external and internal cable types - or something else.

The developers' guide  is not hugely helpful. I'll need to do a bit more ferretting around...

0 Ratings
Sage
Sage
Message 7 of 20

The devolopers guide is for new build only where native FTTP is supplied and is totally different to the connectorised FTTP to existing premises.

Native FTTP has the CSP and an EZ bend cable to the ONT, connectorised has one cable direct to the ONT. The entry point into the premises can be virtually anywhere within reason (you discuss that with the install engineer). The ONT is placed close enough to the entry point (normally right next to it) that fire resistance is not an issue.

You do realise you would need to have a fire in the property for the fibre cable to ignite?

0 Ratings
OldGoat
Contributor
Message 8 of 20

Looking at this thread -
Does FTTP require 2 engineer visits?
It notes that overheads are now CBT and fed directly to the ONT - so the cable 'must' be fire resistant and suitable for indoor use. All I have to do now is negotiate who goes upstairs to thread the cable....

0 Ratings
Sage
Sage
Message 9 of 20

CBT FTTP is one install. The cable does NOT have to be fire retardant due to the short indoor length (typically less than 6 inches).

The cable itself cannot cause a fire it can only catch fire if there is another source of combustion.

0 Ratings
OldGoat
Contributor
Message 10 of 20

Oh yes - and by the time the fire gets to the cable the house would be destroyed!!
My query was because the earlier overhead cable type (non connectorised) was not suitably fire rated, it could not be installed inside the house in the first place...
0 Ratings