cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 15

FTTP Packages

Hi,

I'm trying to sort out a new FTTP connection for my Fiance's parents. They are currently on a ADSL fttc which only gets about 5mb speed. FTTP is available as the cable is installed up to the pole outside their house and the postcode checker confirms that FTTP is available.

The postcode checker on the BT's full fibre page gives various package options, the Fibre 1 package gives a stay fast guarantee of 25mb, which is plenty for them and is way better than 6mb, the Fibre 1 package comes at £27p/m, they are currently paying £48p/m plus call package for Fibre with Halo 1, overall coming in at £58p/m which is extortionate!!!!

Their contract ends today and the only packages coming up when going through upgrade/renewal portal on the website is the Full Fibre 300 with Halo 1 or 2 starting at £48p/m.

My questions are as follows:

1. Why aren't all other packages available when renewing/upgrading? Especially the Fibre 1!

2. Is the Fibre 1 available via an FTTP connection? I'm getting conflicting information from BT over the phone, even though I have friends who have recently signed up to FTTP with the Fibre 1 package at £27p/m

Can anyone clarify please, thanks

0 Ratings
14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15

Re: FTTP Packages

Bear in mind, you still have to pay the telephone line rental plus whatever calling package you decide upon. These charges would be in addition to the £27 quoted for, what I believe is, FTTC rather than FTTP.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 15

are the parents existing BT customers as post code check is approximate and best done with phone number

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 15

They are existing customers, so the Fibre 1 package is not available through a FTTP connection?

Featured Products Downstream Line Rate(Mbps) Upstream Line Rate (Mbps) Downstream Handback
Threshold(Mbps) WBC FTTC Availability Date WBC SOGEA Availability Date Left in Jumper
High Low High Low
VDSL Range A (Clean) 18 11.4 1.2 0.8 9 Available Available --
VDSL Range B (Impacted) 18 10 1.2 0.6 7 Available Available --
Featured Products Downstream Line Rate(Mbps) Upstream Line Rate (Mbps) Downstream Range (Mbps) Availability Date FTTP Install Process
WBC FTTP Upto 1000 Upto 220 -- Available 1 Stage
ADSL Products Downstream Line Rate (Mbps) Upstream Line Rate (Mbps) Downstream Range(Mbps) ADSL Availability Date WBC SOADSL Availability Date Left in Jumper
WBC ADSL 2+ Up to 3 -- 2.5 to 6.5 Available Available --
WBC ADSL2+ Annex M Up to 3 Up to 0.5 2.5 to 6.5 Available Available --
ADSL Max Up to 3 -- 2 to 5.5 Available Available Yes
WBC Fixed Rate 1 -- -- Available Available --
Fixed Rate 1 -- -- Available -- Yes
Observed Speeds VDSL
Max Observed Downstream Speed 4.88
Max Observed Upstream Speed 0.52
Observed Date 2020-08-04
Other Offerings Availability Date
VDSL Multicast Available
ADSL Multicast Available
Premise Environment Status
Bridge Tap N
VRI N
NTE FacePlate N
Last Test Date 22-07-2020
Our records show the following FTTP network service information for these premises:-Single Dwelling Unit Residential OH Feed with no anticipated issues.

FTTP is available and a new ONT may be ordered.

For all ADSL and WBC Fibre to the Cabinet (VDSL or G.fast) services, the stable line rate will be determined during the first 10 days of service usage.

Actual speeds experienced by end users and quoted by CPs will be lower due to a number of factors within and external to BT's network, Communication Providers' networks and within customer premises.

The Stop Sale date for IPstream is from 12 Jan 2018.
If you decide to place an order for a WBC fibre product, an appointment may be required for an engineer to visit the end user's premises to supply the service

In order to be eligible for handback, downstream speed should be less than Downstream Handback Threshold values.
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 15

then phone the FTTP team to order 08005874787

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 15

I phoned the so called FTTP team to ask whether the Fibre 1 package was available via FTTC or FTTP or both; the guy was clueless and more interested in selling the higher priced packages.

So please can anyone with knowledge here provide a solid answer please.  

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 15

The clue here is don't ask. Just order and tell them what you want. Fibre 1 is an FTTC package  Full Fibre 1 ia an FTTP package.

There is no such thing as an ADSL FTTC connection and judging by the speeds they are on ADSL, When you ring up again ask to be upgraded to the FTTP 55Mb  service. Sales teams will always try to sell you more.

0800 587 4787

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 15

If your intention is to stay on ‘Fibre1’ , just on FTTP rather than FTTC, ( from your point of view , the speeds of Fibre 1 sufficient, but due to distance from the cab, the FTTC offering insufficient ) , then it doesn’t surprise that this ‘upgrade’ is proving difficult ( or impossible) to arrange....there is no ( from an account position ) difference, you are on F1 and want to regrade to F1 , system says you already have F1.

The ‘obvious’ thing to do would be to upgrade to a speed that isn’t achievable with FTTC , and then downgrade to F1, this obviously carry's  a cost and provides something that isn’t necessary.

It’s possible at some point, much like ‘free’ offers to move from ADSL to VDSL/FTTC , BT may at some point offer a free move from FTTC to FTTP , if retiring the VDSL estate becomes a thing, but that’s not likely to be anytime soon.

So for clarity, all the speeds BT sell can be had on FTTP, if there was no service at the property , it’s likely that a new applicant asking for Fibre 1 would also default to the FTTC offering,a customer in a new build with FTTP only could chose either , but obviously it’s the ‘poorer’ choice they are denied, you may think who would want that, but there is post on here, a person angry that they don’t have the choice of FTTC because they are in a full fibre address.

It’s possible , in your  case , asking for a change of the method of delivery to full fibre from hybrid copper/fibre maybe hasn’t been built into the process, if it has apparently,  you haven’t encountered anyone familiar with that process ( if it even exists ), but both you and I don’t know if it’s possible or not, If you are told by a BT representative that it isn’t , even if you think that’s ludicrous, I cannot see any other way , apart from upgrading to a higher speed band and taking that for the minimum term before downgrading to F1

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 15

Sorry @iniltous  you are entirely wrong unless things have changed in the last month. A change from FTTC to FTTP has up to now always been availabe at the same speed (ie 55Mb or 80Mb) and same price.

Edit I have just spoken to the FTTP team and they have confirmed an upgrade from FTTC to FTTP (or ADSL) can be done for the 55Mb and 80Mb services.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 15

?, my point is nothing about speed, but the delivery medium...if already on fibre 1 for example, the headline speed is the same FTTP or FTTC ( ignoring the bogus ‘average speed’ and minimum speed guarantees) they both are 55Mb services , but someone on FTTC a long way from the cab isn’t going to get 55Mb, the FTTP customer will....it seems to me the OP’s ‘problem’ is that they want Fibre 1 from FTTP ( presumably they are in an area that has both FTTP and FTTC) , the issue being they have Fibre 1 on FTTC and maybe  the ‘system’ isn’t designed to allow this change, I’m deliberately equivocal, I don’t know if it is or isn’t, perhaps you could point out where I’m wrong .

Ive just seen your edit, so I would refer you to my post , I’ve never said it wasn’t available changing from FTTC to FTTP ( same speed product) my statement was ( self evidently) that the OP hasn’t encountered a customer service rep that was aware of it...you called BT and got someone who was aware.....the OP presumably hasn’t had the same luck, or wasn’t entirely clear the way they presented their request

0 Ratings