Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MKWanderer
Aspiring Contributor
Message 111 of 292

Re: FTTP Problems - 0.86Mbps down

Hi all,

Coming a bit late to the party here. I am the friend referred to by hippey. I too live in Walnut Tree and have been having persistent problems since the first occurrence on December 5th.

I'm with IDNet, not with AAISP as mentioned above by AndyH.

Reading this thread confirms beyond any doubt that the issue described here is the problem I'm seeing. Right now at this moment, the BTW speed test is showing 2.34MB down, 18.9 up. I should have 80/20.

As mentioned earlier, the problem never affects the upload speed.

It always occurs late in the evening (usuall starts around 9pm) and the problem has always cleared by the following morning.

After first occurrence on December 5, it occurred just a couple of other occasions in December (of course there would have been evenings when I did not use the service so wouldn't know) but frequency has increased of late and the problem has now occurred for four out the last eight evenings.

The characteristics of the problem are very strange. When browsing over http, despite the brower's inability to load the page fully, it never returns a non-connected error as it would if the router was not connected. (Someone earlier says IE does, but certainly Chrome, Safari, Firefox do not.) The router never says it has lost connection. Both router and browser seem utterly convinced that everything is normal, and persistently attempt to load the page - but just never succeed. Sometimes, if you batter the refresh button like Daley Thompson's Decathlon on the ZX Spectrum, you can get a page to load, if you're lucky.

Small packets of data seem to be able to get through OK. Opening a terminal and running "ping idnet.net" the results I get are completely normal - even when a speedtest reports a zero download speed.

I also sometimes receive emails when the speed test reports no connection - but only small messages with no attachments. Attachments cause the mail client to hang.

On FTP I can always connect to a remote server, and can pull down very small (less than 2k or so) files - but nothing larger.

All of which points to the fact that small data packets can get through, nothing larger than a certain size. That's the crux of the issue for me - something is happening at the exchange, on certain nights between approx 9pm and around 9am which is causing the failure of data packets over a certain size.

I would even go so far as to venture that when I download a 2k file from an FTP server, it bet it does come down at a speed of 80Mbps. But the flash-based speedtest is not capable of measuring that, because the speedtest itself relies on being able to get packets of a certain size down the line.

This also ties in with the fact that you have to have the speed test cached in your browser before you can run it - if you don't, you can't pull down the flash file to run it. If you do, you can run the speed test even if a zero result is returned.

This would also explain why providers might be sceptical - as far as they can see, we're connected. They see no dropping of connection, because our routers stay connected. The first thing a provider will do when receiving the report of a problem is to look at the connection history - and here, nothing will look wrong, aside from our forlorn attempts to reboot our local routers, which I'm sure we've all been merrily doing.

My provider has been great in trying to troubleshoot this problem but I can bet I am their only customer in MK7. I have been round the houses with my local equipment but ruled that out by plumbing my MacBook Pro directly into the modem box on the wall with no router in the equation at all - just straight from the MBP to the FTTP modem by ethernet. During the day - perfect. After 9pm (ish) - gradual slow down to nothing.

Now that I have found this thread it feels a bit like salvation as it proves beyond any doubt that there is an issue.

Naturally, I'll be bringing this thread, and the others linked from it, to the attention of my provider and I will hope that they can bring some force to bear on BT Wholesale to get this fixed. Of course I'll report back with anything I hear.

Oh, and my office, also served by FTTP, is in Broughton (MK10) - no problems there at all so far.

hippey
Expert
Message 112 of 292

One to consider - does anyone in MK7 have FVA and/or Multicast active ?

If so, is anyone getting issues with these? Both have a QoS set on the modem, I have noted that Multicast also has a QOS set on the HH but in theory if it's a cable fault (this seem so unlikely) or head end fault then these should be affect.

Multicast would be the most noticeable with picture breaks or mosaic patterns on HD Channels. IF this issue is moving further back in the exchange then I would expect other geographical areas to be affected, but then only on the data side.

One would suggest if you have faults on other services via the PON then to report these ASAP to the relevant people, it will also give the engineers more idea where the fault is occurring.
0 Ratings
JTG6
Aspiring Expert
Message 113 of 292

I'm still having the same problems this morning - seems the service has gone down this time and not recovered at all.

@ hippey - how do I turn multicast off? I presume FVA is Fibre Voice Access - I'm not sure if I have this.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
marrio83
Beginner
Message 114 of 292

Hello everyone,
As you can guess my speed has dropped to an useable number. Up to now I've had an average 35 maps and now it's lower then 0.5mps. Can anyone help
0 Ratings
Distinguished Expert
Message 115 of 292

@marrio83

Is this an FTTP connection?
--
To say thanks for a helpful answer, please click the white star
0 Ratings
hippey
Expert
Message 116 of 292

@ JTG6 The only way I found to 'turn off' is to disconnect the BTTV box, you might need to reset/reboot the HomeHub as well. Although disconnection of the ethernet cable will do the same thing.

Multicast is always being sent, it's if your equipment is picking it up.

FVA = Fibre Voice Access (sometimes known as Future Voice) Your landline will either be connected directly into the ONT or you might have the loop from the ONT to the existing socket with a switch on top.

0 Ratings
JTG6
Aspiring Expert
Message 117 of 292

Thanks hippey - next time the service degrades I'll try disconnecting the BT Vision box and see what happens.

I ran a couple of speed tests earlier and got 200Mbps, 200Mbps and 238Mbps. Clearly not stable, but working ok (for now!).
0 Ratings
JTG6
Aspiring Expert
Message 118 of 292

That should be 200, 250 and 238.
0 Ratings
MKWanderer
Aspiring Contributor
Message 119 of 292

Rockin along. 74 down, 19 up, 0 ping latency.

Loads of work to do tonight, so please, please, please, stay that way.

0 Ratings
-AndyH-
Expert
Message 120 of 292

@ MKWanderer

How many engineers have been sent out to you?

It seems like BTw are still sending out engineers to users in MK7/Walnut Tree to do a light/noise level check on end user lines, despite them clearly identifying an issue with some bit of exchange equipment.

I've also not heard anything about the capacity issue and ETA for a fix there. Not sure who that has been affecting.
0 Ratings