Message 21 of 292

Re: FTTP Problems - 0.86Mbps down

Thanks for sharing

0 Ratings
JTG6
Aspiring Expert
Message 22 of 292

Thanks rr54 - that sounds almost identical. I am also on the Bradwell Abbey exchange (I'm in Walnut Tree - MK7).

As it stands right now, download speeds seem to be coming back as I can run the BTW speed test which last gave me 9.93mb down and 24.46 up (ping 23.88).

Interestingly, the tester as speedtest.net using the Milton Keynes server now gives me 293mb down, but when trying a London based server, it fails to complete.

It's good to know I am not the only person with this problem though as I can pretty much rule out my equipment being the root cause.

In terms of dates, this first started happening for me in the first week of December (2nd or 3rd), which coincided with a mass service outage, which had cleared shortly beforethe time of my call. I wonder if this issue could be linked to that?

0 Ratings
rr54
Beginner
Message 23 of 292

I'm also in Walnut Tree and my connection is getting better now, just like normal. It always seems to fix around 11am.

The first time I had the issue was also at the start of December, but I don't know the exact date. That probably was the start of this problem.

I did also have it happen in December on the 19th, 22nd, 25th and 28th. All of those dates are 3 days apart and it happened at the same time of day each time.

0 Ratings
sendmark
Aspiring Contributor
Message 24 of 292

Hello neighbours Smiley Very Happy

I'm also in Walnut Tree and on Infinity 2, with the exact same issue and same sort of intervals. Happened again yesterday evening. Issue with the local exchange?

Tried reporting to BT a week or so ago, but got nowhere. Other than them telling me to call in when it happens - but it's usually in the late evening and the inifinity team are no longer aroun.

0 Ratings
JTG6
Aspiring Expert
Message 25 of 292

I just got off the phone with a very nice lady in BT. Unfortunately, there's not much they can do unless the problem is occurring as we speak.

I have an open fault which will remain open for 30 days and I'll call back should this happen again next weekend. The lady at BT asked if others are having the same problems, they need to call in and report the fault too in order for them to investigate.

Right now, the service seems to be getting back to normal for me - last BTW test gave me 232mb down and 27 up.

sendmark - you can still call them and register the fault, they just may not be familiar with the equipment but they do what they can to help. It's when you get through to India where they follow the script and never deviate! 

0 Ratings
JTG6
Aspiring Expert
Message 26 of 292

Well whatever is causing the problem is happening right now as speeds have dropped right back down. Last test was 13.53 down, 24.87 up (on BTW tester).

Speedtest.net is reporting 3.10Mbps down using the Namesco server in London (and 28Mbps up). The Milton Keynes server (nearest me) is reporting 282.07Mbps down and 21.36Mbps up. I tried a couple of other UK ones (Leeds) and they were over 200Mbps, similarly in Amsterdam. But US servers were really slow (New York and Boston) at less than 1Mbps. Not sure if testing these helps in anyway?

Just re-ran the BTW again 11.92 down, 21.65 up, ping 21.00ms at 6.58am.

Unfortunately I haven't got time to call and report it as I'm leaving for work. Will check when I get home to see if it is fixed.

0 Ratings
-AndyH-
Expert
Message 27 of 292

Hi

There was also a PlusNet user with the same problem as you in Walnut Tree - http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,121399.0.html

I've requested an update from the user, as he had an engineer out to replace his ONT.

I am very surprised BT won't take this further unless you phone in when it's a problem!

0 Ratings
JTG6
Aspiring Expert
Message 28 of 292

Thanks Andy

I had a look at the Plus Net site and the issues seem identical and localised to Walnut Tree.

It wasn't a case of BT not willing to take it further, it was just that the lady said it would be very helpful if I could report the problem as it was happening. I got the impression it was difficult for them to diagnose when everything appears to be working fine.

I ran some more speed tests this evening (about 10 mins ago) and they were over 225Mbps. That said, I've literally just this second run some more and I'm getting less than 100Mbps (53 down and 28 up).

My fault reference was also closed and needs re-opening (I'll contact them).

0 Ratings
JTG6
Aspiring Expert
Message 29 of 292

Speeds are now back up to 175 down and 27 up according to the BTW test. Perhaps the last low tests were just a blip?

0 Ratings
-AndyH-
Expert
Message 30 of 292

I am struggling to understand what the BT Infinity help desk is going to achieve by speaking to you when the problem is occurring.

Have you tried doing some traceroutes (Run > cmd > pathping bbc.co.uk on a Windows PC) when having speed problems?

There is going to be an issue at the dp/splitter/aggregation node/exchange - none of which will be able to be diagnosed over the phone. Your normal Openreach engineer's won't be able to do anything, apart from replace the ONT. It's a separate team that deal with the rest of the network.

I am waiting for the first case of there being too many heavy users on a 32x splitter. The bandwidth (2.4Gb down/1.2Gb up) is split between 32 users so it's a possibility that you could have problems if there are some heavy, high speed users on the same splitter. I have no idea what they do about this though...
0 Ratings