cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 3

FTTP Rollout Question

Go to solution

Good Morning,

Openreach are apparently deploying FTTP to my estate currently (They started it last year - provisioned 30 or so houses and then disappeared for 9 months!) The estate I live on has all services delivered underground (so no telegraph poles) but it doesn't look like they have raised the chamber covers on the Openreach chambers on my road. There is a double chamber at the bottom of my road (Which is about 150 Meters away) which has had lots of activity recently. My question is, when you have placed on order for FTTP, is it normal for them to have to push a cable down to the double chamber at the bottom of the street or would they normally have already sent the Fibre cables up to the chambers closer to my house before allowing FTTP orders for my address?  

My worry is that OR are just cabling another bit of the estate and leaving my part of the street out again.

I have tried getting the information directly from OR but they say that "my postcode" should have FTTP soon - other houses with the same postcode as mine did get FTTP last April (stopped 2 doors above my house though :-()

Thanks for you time... 

0 Ratings
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3

Re: FTTP Rollout Question

Go to solution

TBH, BT have no more influence on where Openreach deploy FTTP than any other ISP.
If your property is fed by underground ducting , that may influence if it’s a 1 or 2 stage install once FTTP is available, but basically you cannot order FTTP until it shows as available , if it’s not shown as available then BT ( or any other ISP ) cannot help.

The layout of fibre network ( where the splitter node is, or where the CBT ( fibre DP) is ) , doesn’t really matter to you , if your fibre lead in cable is 10m long or 100m long makes no difference, so the joint box you refere to may contain the CBT you will be served from, or not , you may need a closer CBT to be built, but that’s entirely down to how OR have ( or will ) provide the network.
Openreach may respond to requests for info about possible availability, if nearby property’s are already able to order FTTP , it’s possible they were ‘lucky’ in that someone paid for a FTTPod service and part of that bespoke ‘build’ enables other homes off the same ‘fibre DP’ to order native FTTP, or perhaps a community funded project ( CFP ) was set up , to the same effect, those within the CFP benefit but if you were not part of that , even if you are relatively close by, don’t.

If the area is simply part of a general FTTP build, then it may just be a case of being patient, Rome wasn’t built in a day, but even in this case , it’s Openreach not BT that are in control of the rollout 

Message 3 of 3

Re: FTTP Rollout Question

Go to solution

Thanks for the rapid response iniltous

Appreciate that its down to Openreach and I just have to be patient. Interesting that there is 1 and 2 stage installs, hopefully all will become clear very soon (fingers crossed) 

0 Ratings