cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
oro
Beginner
Message 1 of 8

FTTP - Self build advice - ducting / ont postion / voice calling

Hi guys i'm a self builder (foundations going in soon) who has just found out that FTTP is being rolled out on my road.

I've done quite a bit of research (openreach developers guide and factsheets etc) to try ensure that I get things right but would be great to get some feedback from some experts to ensure I have understood everything correctly and then I just have a few queries also.

First I've been informed by Openreach that my property have been provisioned for at the Splitter (Main feed Node)

So i'm getting my groundworkers to lay ducting for fibre optical cable from the edge of the plot up to the house, this will lead to a duct in the floor slab at 45 degree angle coming out in the floor of the tech room (with draw rope) , the tech room will have two power sockets for the ONT and from the tech room I will run a single cat6 network cable to my living room where I will then plug said cat6 into my wifi router which will then provide wifi for house and allow me to plug playstation / tv directly into router. As I understand it openreach would come and pull their optical cable through the ducts into the house , install the ONT, i'd plug that into my cat6 and all should work correctly?!

-Does the above all seem correct and sensible?

-i've read a little about CSP's but don't fully understand them do i need one of these?

- Does having a cat6 cable from the ONT running into another room before going into the router (vs plugging the ONT straight into the router) add any kind of lag affect on ping for online gaming?

-As I understand it FTTP allows for voice calls so does that mean I dont need a standard phone line? Do i need to install some form of phone socket in the tech room if i wanted to plug my phone in the living room or does the 'voice part' also get carried along the cat6 cable?

thanks in advance for any advice!

Oliver

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Starwire
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 8

Re: FTTP - Self build advice - ducting / ont postion / voice calling

If you install the duct provided by Openreach and have a draw rope ready then the Engineer can use that.

Normally they fit a CSP on the outside wall but there’s no reason it can’t go on the inside. I’ve put quite a few on the inside before.

A Cat6 Cable will be more than sufficient to connect the ONT to the Router.

Ref to your phone line Openreach will only provide FVA, Fibre Voice Access on New Build Estates that have no existing Copper Network. 

As yours is just a self build your phone line would still be delivered via a Metallic Path, i.e. Copper Line.

FVA is an expensive and complicated service to maintain and soon Openreach/BT will get rid of it completely when they go down the VOiP route. 

0 Ratings
Devon_Dave
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 8

Not certain if i would want a duct coming up inside my house, unless it has been expertly sealed.

Seen many instances of house flooding where the water has cascaded out of the duct from the street.

(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings
Starwire
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 8

It is OK to put Ducting Internally. Find it a lot in Office Blocks and Commercial Premises like Warehouses.

I can’t remember the technical name for the seal but it’s this bag thing that you fill with some gas. Lasts for years.

0 Ratings
oro
Beginner
Message 5 of 8

thanks for very information reply

just a quick question re: ducting as you mentioned ducting that open reach will provide.

My contractor is looking to lay the ducting asap and whats to know the spec from open reach - I gave them a call and didn't get much of a reply "50 mm grey ducting"

is something like this what i'm after ?

image.png

thanks again

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 8

0 Ratings
oro
Beginner
Message 7 of 8

thanks keith , yep did this today as I had done already way back for copper telephone but was informed I need to register for FTTP too
0 Ratings
Starwire
Recognised Expert
Message 8 of 8

That’s the duct yes. Make sure he fits it together correctly and uses the correct connector bends.

No you don’t need to register your house for FTTP as it’ll be counted as an upgrade.

0 Ratings