Did you mean: 
Highlighted
trevortmorgan
Beginner
Message 1 of 7

FTTP Speed upgrades

Go to solution

HI All,

Wondered if anyone knew about this: https://www.theregister.co.uk/2019/07/05/openreach_admits_50000_premises_in_its_fttp_network_will_on... 

Basically there is a bit of kit on the BT network that slows the speeds from the Gigabit capabilities, I wondered if anyone knew if BT/Open Reach are planning to replace these and if so when? 

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Sage
Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: FTTP Speed upgrades

Go to solution

Eventually, yes it will be replaced but it is not exactly high priority ATM.

trevortmorgan
Beginner
Message 3 of 7

Go to solution

Thanks for the reply, It's a shame it isn't a priority. The implementation feels a little half finished at the moment. 

Is there anywhere I could try to get an estimate of when the kit will be updated? I'll be coming up to a date where I can change providers and VM offer a faster service locally for less per month. Happy to stay with BT as they have the capability to be the fastest provider, but would like to know when its going to happen.

0 Ratings
Sage
Sage
Message 4 of 7

Go to solution

It has nothing to do with BT Retail (your provider) as they know nothing more than any other ISP does. Only Openreach will have the answer you seek. You could try them on Twitter. @OpenreachHelp

Starwire
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 7

Go to solution

Openreach are already in the process of changing out ECI FTTP Equipment with Huawei and Nokia Equipment.

Some ECI DSLAMS are also going to be swapped out for Huawei ones as well.

trevortmorgan
Beginner
Message 6 of 7

Go to solution
Good to know! I spoke to BT and Openreach today. Openreach told me to speak to BT, BT in turn told me that even if the equipment was upgraded that doesn't mean they will offer the gigabit service

So I guess it's wait and see!
0 Ratings
Starwire
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 7

Go to solution

Openreach sell WBC FTTP Speeds of up to 1gbps but there’s only a couple of bespoke CP’s that actually sell it at the minute and BT Consumer isn’t one of them.

0 Ratings