cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 19

FTTP Survey said the cable can't be feed along existing duct, What next?

Engineer came out and couldn't get the cable along the existing copper duct. Packed everything away and left.

I didn't want it going there anyway so this could be a bonus.

I want the ONT in my living room.

The progress on my order say that the external work has been done but nothing has been done.

What happens next?

Ideally, there's a large concrete BT junction just outside my house in the foot path. I'd like them to come from that across my garden and then into my living room. no walls, no trees, or bushes or anything difficult, just soft garden.

Is it possible they'd go this route now the cable can't be feed along the duct?

I'm worried that it says outside work has been carried out.

0 Ratings
18 REPLIES 18
Message 2 of 19

Re: FTTP Survey said the cable can't be feed along existing duct, What next?

It’s probably just a blocked duct.

Chances are if he didn’t mark it up for a dig it’ll go to a Civils Avoidance Team first to see if it can be unblocked by checking it what’s blocking it with a duct camera.

If it can’t I’d imagine they’ll just dig and clear the blockage in situ. Openreach are under a lot of pressure to bring FTTP in on a cost so I seriously doubt they’ll go to the expense of doing a dig and providing new duct. 

The only way that’ll most likely happen is if it’s not ducted but direct in ground.

Message 3 of 19

He said it was blocked directly under my house so unlikely to dig there. 

How can I find out if they're going to do a new dig?

Can I call openreach to find out their next plan of action?

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 19

Do you live in Northern Ireland? It’s quite rare duct comes up inside the house, except in NI where it’s the norm.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 19

Yes, I live in N.Ireland. 

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 19

Right OK. NI seems to have a different set of rules for some reason so I couldn’t really say what they’ll do.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 19

I phoned the FTTP team and they said they'd pass on all the information, as it is logged as external work completed which isn't correct. Hopefully they get back to me soon with their plan of action.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 19

Well BT got back to me and said that it's going ahead on the 4th September as planned. I tried to explain that the duct was blocked and the engineer couldn't get the cable along it. She said they'd spoken with openreach and the outside work was complete (nothings been done) and it will be installed as planned. I can already imagine what'll happen on the 4th, it's very unlikely I'll get it installed that day. 

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 19

Interesting....

I am in N.Ireland too and mine is due to be fitted this Friday. 

My pipe is also blocked (in reality the builder has used too small a duct to connect to the bigger BT duct) just outside the property but the BT engineer who came out (2 of them actually) last week for a site inspection said that whoever came on Friday would lift one of the paving slabs beside my front door, find the duct (they used a device to track it) and then drill a hole in my wall and run the fibre cable. 

Your post has me thinking that none of what the engineer said is actually going to happen and that the engineer will show up, see there is a blockage and then leave. 

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 19

This is what I'm expecting also. My blockage is directly under my master socket, so it's in my house(under the floor) as such so digging outside and trying to feed it in won't help. 

0 Ratings