cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 19

Re: FTTP Survey said the cable can't be feed along existing duct, What next?

That must be why the engineer said last week that they would have to drill through the wall. 

The BT ducting comes up to my front door at an angle and then goes off around the corner and under the foundations into the house.

Using their machine they traced the duct to a slab right beside my front door, so the slab will need to be lifted and a hole cut in the duct, this will then need to be redirected under the slab and up the wall slightly in through a new hole in the wall and then into the house. 

I actually expected them to start to do this last week but they packed up and left. Then I got confirmation that the order was going ahead for this Friday. 

I am actually going to laugh when a single engineer shows up on Friday with zero clue about what has to be done. 

0 Ratings
Message 12 of 19

I might be able to provide some guidance here, I am also an N.I. customer who had FTTP/H installed.  My ducting was also blocked.  What they do is find where they think the block is, in my case it was outside my house on a tarmac area.  Basically they dug a hole into the tarmac (They then filled in the hole with a tub of instant tarmac, actually did a fairly neat job!) and broke the ducting just short of the blockage, they then ran the new cable to that point then as others have said, they have to drill a hole into your external wall to bring the cable in.  

In my case the wall was on the opposite side of where my Hub sits, so they then had to staple the cable over my internal door frame to get it to the Hub.

This all happened on the day of install, so don't worry that your install won't happen.  I had a team of 2 guys do the outside work and then another guy do the inside install, all in the same morning.

Message 13 of 19

Good to hear they'll carry out work on the day.

Still hope they run a new line across my garden though. With the blockage in the duct within my house and gas line right beside it, it's got to be the easiest option. 

0 Ratings
Message 14 of 19

Well, your experience has certainly made me feel better!!

Hopefully its fairly straightforward. I actually don’t mind them digging up a bit of tarmac if they have to. 

0 Ratings
Message 15 of 19

I have received another email from BT and a text message confirming my install tomorrow, so everything is still on schedule. 

Just to be safe, I also contacted someone I know in Openreach NI to see if they could tell me anything. 

Thankfully they were able to clarify a few things and I fully expect the install and the ground works to go ahead tomorrow.   

0 Ratings
Message 16 of 19

Mine was installed today as planned. 

Thankfully it only need a small(ish) hole dug under a paving slab at my front door. About a foot down they found the duct running into my house with a phone cable coming out of it, a couple more scoops of a shovel and the found the end of the duct running down to the footpath. 

Once they had that sorted the rest was a breeze and my new fibre cable was installed very quickly. Entire job took about 4 hours in total. 

Wired I am getting 537Mb/s down and 53Mb/s up. 

Wireless is between 150-300Mb/s down and 47Mb/s up depending on what room you in. 

I am going to play about with the wireless channels tonight to see if I can boost it a bit. 

Message 17 of 19

I'm glad all went smoothly for you. I take it you are on the 900mbps service? 

0 Ratings
Message 18 of 19

Nope, I am on the 500Mb/s service. 

Message 19 of 19

Install went through this morning. I shouldn't have worried as it was a breeze for the guys. They detected the blockage, lifted a flag stone and there it was. I asked if it could be re-routed to my living room, they done exactly that by clipping it round my house base and everything was done within an hour and a half. Guy said was easiest install he's done.