cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 14

FTTP Underground fibre question

I have FTTP at my newly built property of which I've resided for nearly 3 years.

I'm thinking of getting someone in to extend the fence that was originally erected by the developer, I'm just concerned that when they are digging and erecting the posts that they may come into contact with the BT fibre channels which includes Phone, TV and BB.

One section does look like it just may cross over from the BT pavement lid outside, so I'm wondering if someone from BT could come visit to put my mind at rest as I'd rather know in advance from BT rather than who will be erecting the extended fence and posts as BT know how it is laid for FTTP customers. 

Would this be possible to arrange a BT fibre expert to come visit just to be safe prior to the job being done as it may be that only one side would be safer being fenced rather than it being right angled. 

I ask all this because I get good FTTP speeds and I don't really want any such damage to the fibre if the worse were to happen. 

Regards. 

0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14

Re: FTTP Underground fibre question

Hi @sea2dog thanks for posting, this is something you'd need to organise directly with Openreach as they own and maintain the FTTP network. Check out this Openreach webpage for more info, I believe it's the click before you dig process that you'll need to follow.

Thanks

Neil

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 14

Looks like the customer needs to pay for a map so I don't think I'll bother, we won't be right angling over so it shouldn't be a problem, all I wanted to know was in what direction the fibre was directed from the BT pavement lid to the box outside our house. 

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 14

You looked under the first option. Try the third option:

If you want us to come to your site to check equipment

We can visit your site to locate and check our equipment. We’ll also give you free help and guidance on how to deal with it. We call this Click before you dig.

How to arrange a Click before you dig site visit

Message 5 of 14

The first section asks for Company, would this be the person who will be doing the work? ie erecting the fence? If so I only have his first name. 

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 14

I filled the form in and after saving it I sent it off to the email address suggested.

Some of the info I had to say unknown to as I didn't know myself.

Thanks for helping. 

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 14

Let me assure you, the cost of finding out where the fibre cable is, is a lot cheaper to that of Openreach coming out to fix it when your fence guy damages it.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 14

Are you saying that I'll still be charged for the visit? I thought according to someone on here was that if I chose the option that I have done there would be no charge?

We are BT customers.
0 Ratings
Message 9 of 14

You are a BTRetail customer the same as if you were with Sky or any other ISP. Openreach supply and maintain the fibre network and is a company run independantly of BTRetail. Being a BT customer gives you no advantage over any other ISP's customer.

When Openreach reply to your query they will advise if there will be a charge or not.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 14

That's how I understand it, thanks for the help.
0 Ratings