cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tarbat
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 22

FTTP activation due tomorrow - questions

I ordered FTTP 3 weeks ago, and it's all due to be activated tomorrow. The engineer came out 3 weeks ago, discovered a block duct so said they'd have to come back and put a new duct in. Smart Hub arrived last week as scheduled.

Service is meant to go live tomorrow, so what happens if the duct isn't ready? Will BT still take-over the landline service from my current provider (Sky) even if the duct isn't ready? And if they do, presumably they'll take-over the Sky internet service as well? WIll that be an ADSL service until the fibre duct is done?

Or does this mean I might end up with a landline but no internet?

I talked to BT last week, and they were waiting to hear back from Openreach, and have scheduled a call with me tomorrow. But I'm worried that by then it may be too late to keep my Sky internet service.

0 Ratings
21 REPLIES 21
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 22

Re: FTTP activation due tomorrow - questions

Try phoning the FTTP team who may be able to update you on progress  08005874787

I would expect your current internet to cease tomorrow

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
tarbat
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 22

Thanks, I'm in the phone queue now. I had to abort this morning when I reached 1 hour in the queue. Surely BT wouldn't activate the landline service without the FTTP service, would they?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 22

they are separate as I assume your landline is still on copper not fibre  and agreed takeover date from previous ISP is tomorrow

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
tarbat
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 22

Just had an email:
Your new service start dates
Sorry for the delay, but we can now confirm that your phone service will start on 15 Oct 2019.
Your broadband service will start within 24 hours of 15 Oct 2019.

So looks like we'll be without internet for up to 24 hours.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 22

sounds good but only time will tell

0 Ratings
tarbat
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 22

So after a 35 minute wait, I got through to the FTTP team. They're trying to cancel the transfer with my current provider until Openreach do the work. What a mess 😞  Although on chat someone called Akshay assured me that both landline and fibre internet will go definately live tomorrow, so I'm really confused about what I need to do to make sure I keep internet connectivity.

Although the order online says the CONFIRMED engineer appointment is on 13 Jan 2020 😞

0 Ratings
Sage
Sage
Message 8 of 22

Forget about chat just keep up contact with the FTTP team.

Starwire
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 22

If the Duct is blocked and requires a dig, which hasn’t been done yet then clearly they won’t be installing your FTTP Service tomorrow. 😒

Where is the dig and on what kind of surface? Depending on where and what’s needed is how long it’ll take, i.e. a soft dig on grass can be done relatively quickly. A dig on concrete/paving slabs, etc is obviously more complex and a dig on public land like the foot path would need Council permission.

Once that’s done Openreach will then send someone back out to do the cabling work. Once they’ve then confirmed that’s done they’ll reschedule an Installation date.

The one for January 2020 will just be one they’ve book to stop the job closing while they sort out the dig.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
tarbat
Aspiring Expert
Message 10 of 22

Where is the dig and on what kind of surface?

It’s just a short distance across a lawn from the pavement to the front of the house - about 3 meters. Openreach checked for other services, marked everything out and took photos of what needs doing 3 weeks ago and said they’d be back shortly to do the duct and pull the fibre. Then nothing 😞

Anyway, BT have now postponed the transfer from Sky, and Sky have confirmed receipt of the cancel and our existing Sky Talk & Broadband services should stay in place. Fingers crossed!

Does this sort of delay qualify for the BT Automatic Compensation scheme? BT agreed to this date for landline and fibre, and haven’t delivered.

0 Ratings