cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tphilbo
Beginner
Message 1 of 19

FTTP and Exchange Only

Looking for some guidance in terms of what my options are.

I'm on an exchange only line on the Pentyrch exchange (SWPTY), which is enabled for both FTTC and FTTP. We live about 300m from the exchange and I've previously been told (on many occasions) that there are no plans to enable FTTC for the EO lines on the exchange (Openreach and Superfast Cymru).

In terms of FTTP though, is it a matter of paying for the install of the cable from the exchange to my property? If not, what other considerations are there preventing me from getting it?

TIA
0 Ratings
18 REPLIES 18
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 19

Re: FTTP and Exchange Only

Can you enter your phone number and post the result of the DSL checker please, edit out phone number brfore posting. https://www.dslchecker.bt.com/

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 19

If native FTTP is available, you just need to order it by calling 0800 587 4787. Prices will be the same as FTTC for the lower speeds.

0 Ratings
tphilbo
Beginner
Message 4 of 19

I have a Sky phone line, so that checker doesn't work for me. Using my address it says 'FTTP is not available' immediately under the main box.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 19

There's your answer then I'm afraid.  You could always give the FTTP team a call to be 100% certain.

0 Ratings
tphilbo
Beginner
Message 6 of 19

I understood that to be the case, but what my original question was about is the reasons behind why is not available - i.e. do Openreach need to do something at the exchange for EO lines in general or can they do something just for my line? And is it just a case of 'someone' paying to do it?
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 19

@tphilbo wrote:
I have a Sky phone line, so that checker doesn't work for me. Using my address it says 'FTTP is not available' immediately under the main box.

This is an issue you should really be asking Sky, as this is a BT Retail forum, and has nothing to do with Openreach.

If you want to ask about fibre, You can ask Openreach directly HERE.

0 Ratings
tphilbo
Beginner
Message 8 of 19

I asked the question on here given the amount of posts/knowledge on the topic.

While I do have a Sky telephone line currently, it's not something which is driving my enquiry, i.e. if having a Sky line is preventing me from accessing the FTTP service at the exchange then that's the answer I'm looking for.

Also, the link provided has never worked for me either. When I enter my postcode and click search, I'm just left with the box going dark with two incomplete circles going around and around forever with no result.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 19

Availability of FTTP is totally independant of whether you are an EO line or not, it is a completely different method of delivery to FTTC.

As I said previously, worth giving the FTTP team a call.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 19

I do not think Sky market the FTTP product anyway, there are only a handful of providers.

The Openreach form should work, as its just a basic form.

0 Ratings