cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 1 of 13

FTTP and Location of BTHub6

A relative has just moved into a new-build property and has a similar problem to the one described in the thread below i.e. the ONT in a cupboard with washing machine.

https://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Fibre-broadband/New-Build-FTTP-H-in-Utility-Cupboard/m-p/1882968#M276...

He is slightly better off in that the builder has installed a Cat5/6 outlet in each main room, with a "patch panel" adjacent to the ONT.

I have tried to move the hub to the study but it failed to connect - orange light. The BT broadband helpline says that it a known (stupid) problem that the hub must be directly connected to the ONT. The solutions on offer are a) get BTOR to move the ONT - not realistic in this case, or b) BTOR may have some sort of device to enable the hub to be located remotely from the ONT via the structured cabling.

We do have some basic Powerlines available to try the same solution as the other thread, but does anyone have any more elegant solutions to this scenario?

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 13

Re: FTTP and Location of BTHub6

The Hub and the ONT need to be connected together via Ethernet of some description which the structured wiring and patch panel should provide. Are you sure the Ethernet wiring has been installed correctly?

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 13

The hub is up and running in the cupboard and connected to the (working) PC in the study via the structured cabling.  This gives me confidence that the cabling installation is sound.

When I moved the hub, I used all the same cables and the same patch panel socket and wall socket, just moving the hub further down the line. BT Helpline says "can't do that - hub has to be connected directly to ONT - what you've tried won't work - known feature".

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 13

Just a basic check.

Did you connect the Smarthub via the red WAN socket when you moved it.

https://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/47222/c/346

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 13

@Michael331501 wrote:
BT Helpline says "can't do that - hub has to be connected directly to ONT - what you've tried won't work - known feature".

No idea why they say that, there is no difference between connecting directly and via patch panel and structured cabling.

I'm sure the ports should be auto sensing, but you could try using a reversing/crossover  patch cord one end.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 13

No reason it shouldn’t work through the Patch Cables, the ONT/Router has no way of telling if it is.

Sounds like it might just be the way the Cat Data Sockets are Wired up. Have you disconnected them to make sure the wiring configuration matches at either end and that of the Ethernet Cable?
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 7 of 13

Could I ask why you want to move the hub?

The reason they are telling you it won't work, is that none of the other ethernet ports in the other rooms will work.

Each port on the patch panel needs to be connected to the router, if necessary via a swich if more than 3.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 13

@pippincp wrote:
Each port on the patch panel needs to be connected to the router, if necessary via a swich if more than 3.

Only if Ethernet at more than one location is required.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 9 of 13

@licquorice wrote:

@pippincp wrote:

Only if Ethernet at more than one location is required.

The first sentence covered that.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 13

Thanks for all your suggestions so far. I'll answer the various questions in one go.

The current working configuration is

ONT>Hub WAN port; Hub output>patch panel; wall socket>PC.

What I thought was the obvious solution, but doesn't work, is

ONT>patch panel; wall socket>Hub WAN port; Hub output>PC.

The downsides of the current configuration are a) the hub etc is in a cupboard where washing machine is located and it currently sits on the floor and may eventually have to take up shelf space; b) it can't do the WiFi coverage much good being shut in a cupboard.

Accepted that the proposed move does restrict the cabled connection to the one PC, but that is all that is required at present.

Being some while retired, I don't have ready access to a crossover cable to try. Why is that a possible solution and where would it be in the chain?

0 Ratings