cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 8

FTTP and non BT Router

I have FTTP provided by Openreach which works with the BT HOmehub provided however I  wanted to use my previous router - TP-Link Archer C3200 if possible.  When I connect this router to the Openreach ONT's PORT1  with  connection set to PPPoE with User bthomehub@btbroadband.com with no password all the right the lights comes on to say that that it is connected to the internet and when I loginto its control panel this confirms it. 

My PC connects to the router OK and says there is an internet connection however  when I try to access through my browser I get a message from BT saying I need to log into the network.  

Using the BT HomeHub there i s no problem .  

What am I doing wrong?  Do I need a Fibre Modem?

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: FTTP and non BT Router

I think you need tplink in router mode and connect to wan socket or have you tried that?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 8

Is the C3200 a VDSL modem? if not I don't think it will work

If you found this post helpful 🙂 then please let me know by clicking the thumbs up button below. On the other hand, if you found it unhelpful 😞 then please let me know by clicking the thumbs up button below . 😄
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 8

@V_Meldrew wrote:

Is the C3200 a VDSL modem? if not I don't think it will work

The ONT is the modem, FTTP isn't VDSL.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 8

@DaveVL It sounds as though you are connecting OK but not authenticating.  Try entering BT as the password, although one isn't required the router might need an entry to work correctly.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 8

Thanks for your reply. 

Below is the internet configuration when connected through the BT Home Hub.

Login is bthomehub@btbroadband.com with no password.HomeHub Connection Status.PNG

Connecting the TP-Link Archer C3200 through the same  cable and Port on the ONT as the HomeHub above comes out as shown below.  Where the Internet connection light is a nice shiny blue.

Tp LInk With FTTP.jpg

Below is the Network configuration from the TP-Link.  I tried this both with no password and with the password BT with the sme result.

TP Link Internet Status.PNG

Finally, below is the message I get back on my browser whenever I try to connect to any internet site through my browser.

network Login Requirement.PNG

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 8

did you try as @licquorice suggested and enter the password in the tplink even though hub doesn't need one

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 8

It is definitely an authentication problem as you are reaching the BTWholesale landing page. I would first try a factory reset of theTP Link and start again. If that fails to work, investigate the authentication settings of the TP Link and try CHAP if set to AUTO.

0 Ratings