cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cheshirecat90
Beginner
Message 1 of 8

FTTP available for neighbours but not my property!

Hello all,

I have recently moved into a rented property and to my dismay the premises doesn't have access to fibre broadband. In fact, half of the area does not have access to fibre yet the other half have access to FTTP. I am very confused why people who live literally over the road from me have had their lines upgraded to allow them access to FTTP but other properties have been left without. I feel at a loss here - can somebody please explain why this decision has been made?

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: FTTP available for neighbours but not my property!

Only Openreach will know that answer and they are not public facing
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 8

Only openreach know the answer to your question as they are responsible for the installation of FTTP. Have you asked your landlord if he knows?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
cheshirecat90
Beginner
Message 4 of 8

He doesn’t have an answer either unfortunately
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 8

When you say ‘Literally Over the Road’ are you referring to just one neighbour across the road who has it or does one side of the street have and the other doesn’t?

If it’s the latter it could be that there’s an issue getting Fibre to the other side of the road, such as a blocked duct?

Or if random people on the street have it, it could be that the Network is at full capacity. Openreach commonly use 32 way splitter nodes and it could be all 32 are in use. Although I doubt this would be the case as everywhere I’ve seen Openreach put in FTTP they’ve always put in enough for every property as well as enough spare capacity.
0 Ratings
cheshirecat90
Beginner
Message 6 of 8

One side of the street plus another area in the estate. Thanks for shedding some light on possible scenarios - is there anybody I could contact to try and figure out why this has happened? I'd just like to know whether the rest of the properties are being considered for FTTP as this will impact my decision on whether to stay here or not for another year.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 8

Is it a new build site?

I know of an Estate being built by two developers. First the whole estate had Copper. Then during build process one developer paid Openreach to overlay their side of the estate with Fibre but the other wouldn’t. So now half the estate has access to FTTP but the other side only has ADSL available to them. Last time I was there one of the local lads told me Openreach were now going to put FTTP in on the side that doesn’t have it but until I physically see it in I take it with s pinch of salt.
0 Ratings
cheshirecat90
Beginner
Message 8 of 8

It’s fairly new... was built in 2012. Apparently residents have been complaining for years and nothing’s ever happened. There was a community fund which recently failed as half of the estate was upgraded which meant potential funders didn’t have any reason to contribute anymore.
0 Ratings