cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7

FTTP being installed, can I use my own router? Where will the ONT be installed?

FTTP is currently being installed in my area and I soon will have access to high speed broadband!

I have my own NETGEAR R7800 X4S Nighthawk Wireless Router AC2600 which works well on my ADSL line.

Will I be able to use this router with full fibre?

I also understand that an ONT will need to be installed. My main telephone socket is in the hall but when the house was built 5 years ago I asked for a telephone extension to be put under the stairs so that I could connect my modem/router. I have everything connected through this router (TV, BT Digibox, NAS Storage, VOIP telephone).

Will it be possible for the ONT to be installed alongside the existing understairs telephone socket?

For obvious reasons I do not want my router and all network connections in the hall!!

Many thanks in advance, I want to be ready for the change over and do not like surprises

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: FTTP being installed, can I use my own router? Where will the ONT be installed?

Your router needs to have a WAN port to connect to the ONT

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 7

Re: FTTP being installed, can I use my own router? Where will the ONT be installed?

Thanks for that pointer, the router has five (5) 10/100/1000 Mbps—(1 WAN & 4 LAN) Gigabit Ethernet ports, so that's OK then!
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 7

No. The wan port is limited to 100MB not 1000MB
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 7

Your router has 5 Gigabit Ethernet ports with 1 of them being the WAN port.

It's not limited to 100Mb/s, I'm not sure where that info comes from but it's wrong.

You can use that instead of the BT Smart Hub 2.

You connect an Ethernet cable from the ONT's Ethernet port to the routers WAN port.

Just enter the genetic BT username and password in the relevant PPP settings on the router and you're good to go.

An OpenReach engineer will bring the ONT on the day of your fibre install.

They are pretty flexible where they will install the ONT, within reason.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 7

@Antdonnwrote:
No. The wan port is limited to 100MB not 1000MB

Strange, as the specs say......

Gigabit CPU, Gigabit wired, and Gigabit WiFi, ready for 4K gaming

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 7

@j0hn83wrote:

Your router has 5 Gigabit Ethernet ports with 1 of them being the WAN port.

You can use that instead of the BT Smart Hub 2.

You connect an Ethernet cable from the ONT's Ethernet port to the routers WAN port.

Just enter the genetic BT username and password in the relevant PPP settings on the router and you're good to go.

An OpenReach engineer will bring the ONT on the day of your fibre install.

They are pretty flexible where they will install the ONT, within reason.

Thanks John, all very reassuring.

0 Ratings