cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 10

FTTP - does the ONT have an IP address?

Go to solution

I'm having FF900 installed today and hoping to not even need to remove the BT Smart Hub from the packaging. I've got an Orbi mesh network set up and will change the login to the BT one once it is installed.

My question - does the ONT have an IP address, and if so what is it by default?

My Orbi is configured at 192.168.1.1 and I wanted to make sure it wouldn't conflict. I know the SH2 has a default IP of 192.168.1.254.

Thanks

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

Re: FTTP - does the ONT have an IP address?

Go to solution

@ch 

Why would it have an IP address, its only a modem?

Your Orbi mesh will be doing the PPPoE authentication, and will be issued a public Internet  IP address which will be used by the Orbi for routing.

I assume you are not using your phone number?

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 10

Go to solution

Okay - thanks, then I should be good. My current HG612 modem (FTTC) has an IP address ... that was the reason I asked. Maybe the ONT also had a web interface.

Not sure what you're asking about the phone number for?

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 10

Go to solution

@ch wrote:

Okay - thanks, then I should be good. My current HG612 modem (FTTC) has an IP address ... that was the reason I asked. Maybe the ONT also had a web interface.

Not sure what you're asking about the phone number for?

That is so you can look at the DSL connection information on the HG612, that is not applicable for FTTP.

Is you phone still being delivered over your existing copper connection, or have you requested Digital Voice?

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 10

Go to solution

Got it, thanks.

The phone is staying on copper, I didn't get the option for digital voice when I ordered so hopefully won't need the SH2 unless I've an issue and BT wants me to debug ever (I suppose). 

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 10

Go to solution

@ch wrote:

Got it, thanks.

The phone is staying on copper, I didn't get the option for digital voice when I ordered so hopefully won't need the SH2 unless I've an issue and BT wants me to debug ever (I suppose). 

You may need it in a few years time, when the PSTN equipment in the exchange is turned off.

As far as the Orbi is concerned, just leave it as it is, and simply swap the WAN port from the HG modem, to the ONT WAN. Nothing else should be needed.

Message 7 of 10

Go to solution

@Keith_Beddoewrote:

As far as the Orbi is concerned, just leave it as it is, and simply swap the WAN port from the HG modem, to the ONT WAN. Nothing else should be needed.

Not quite - FTTC requires a VLAN ID but for FTTP this should be removed.

Go to solution

The VLAN ID (101) appears to be set on the HG612, not the Orbi - so I think it should be fine?

There's no setting for VLAN in the Orbi PPPoE settings, Login, Password and Service name are the only options - the rest all relate to IP settings, DNS, MAC settings, etc.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 10

Go to solution

@ch wrote:

The VLAN ID (101) appears to be set on the HG612, not the Orbi - so I think it should be fine?

There's no setting for VLAN in the Orbi PPPoE settings, Login, Password and Service name are the only options - the rest all relate to IP settings, DNS, MAC settings, etc.

That would make sense, as the VLAN is just a VDSL parameter.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 10

Go to solution

Just to close the loop, moving from Vodafone FTTC to BT FTTP ... I unplugged the HG612, changed the username/password in the Orbi settings to bthomehub@btbroadband.com and plugged the Orbi into the ONT ... that was it. Worked perfectly.

0 Ratings