cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
BBNotSpot
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 18

FTTP : extra ethernet sockets fitted by OR engineer?

I am now signed-up for Infinity 4 FTTP.  I am waiting for a BT/OR engineer to arrive at the house within the next 2 weeks to install the ONT/modem and connect the modem to the CSP already installed on the house.

Speaking to the BT FTTP sales team on a separate topic, I was told that the engineer would fit up to 3 ethernet sockets in the house as part of the visit (which I assume means Cat5e RJ45 ethernet access points and run Cat5e ethernet cables from the HH5 router to the ethernet sockets).  This is so I can "enjoy the full benefits of Infinity 4 (300/20) throughout the house".  Unfortunately, the person I spoke to was not technical and could not explain what/how etc...

1. Will they, for example, run ethernet cables outside the house and bring it in where needed or will they only do ethernet cable runs within the house?
  2. Will they fit RJ45 faceplates?
  3. The person at FTTP sales said it would be "at no additional cost" - is that right?

• Has anyone had this done or is there a link to somewhere on the BT/OR site where I can find out more?

I found this old topic here :  https://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Infinity-Speed-Connection/BT-Infinity-Ethernet-extensions-CAT6-or-CAT...  but as the OP did not give an update afterwards, I do not know what his experience was.

0 Ratings
17 REPLIES 17
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 18

Re: FTTP : extra ethernet sockets fitted by OR engineer?

Never heard of it however, don't really get much info around these parts on FTTP as it's still pretty rare!
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
openwm
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 18

ive never had a job to install any Ethernet in a house at all and ive been doing fttp for 2 years mate. I doubt the engineer will do this unless your willing to pay bt for it . or if the house has already been wired up for Ethernet and its a simple plug a play job. but deffo not going do you 3 Ethernet sockets for free.
0 Ratings
BBNotSpot
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 18

I suspect you may be right openwm.

But, I contacted the FTTP sales team last week and asked the question again - and they reconfirmed that fitting the ethernet sockets was part of the service, although it took the person on the phone several minutes to check with different people in the team to get the information.  I even confirmed that they understood that this was not telephone extension sockets.  It is certainly not well known.

I was told to confirm details with the engineer on the day of the second stage install.  So, I will know for certain in a few days' time.  

0 Ratings
miles_safer
Expert
Message 5 of 18

I was on the FTTP test scheme in Milton Keynes where I live and over the couple of years that test ran had various services added as BT rolled them out on trial.

These included speed increases, up to what is now Infinity 4, Fibre Voice Access (FVA) & also having extra ethernet points installed.

The engineer that intsalled the extra points, 2 in my case, ran the cables outside the house down from the office where the ONT is to the living room so I could hard wire the TV & PVR box to the net and not rely on wifi.

Although as I was on the trial this was done free to help them learn how it all worked & if their processes were problematic I do remember BT saying it would be offered to new FTTP customers. But as to if it was to be free for all FTTP customers I can not be 100% sure.

Oh and yes the engineer fitted surface mounted boxes and face plates on the inside of the wall where he came through with the cables.

I expect you would need the order to state that there are ethernet sockets to fit, and maybe even where, in order to get them done. But that is just me drawing on negative expirience years ago when an Openreach Engineer would not move the phone point in my flat when he was there to replace an old socket for a new RJ11 one as it was not on his job sheet.

0 Ratings
BBNotSpot
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 18

Thank you miles_safer.  So, I am not hearing things or going mad....

I queried it with FTTP sales last week as it does not appear on the BT order when I look at my order details on bt.com (nor does it appear as a service anywhere that I can find on bt.com or openreach.com), but they assured me it was included, and if the engineer cannot complete the ethernet socket work within his schedule on the day the ONT is installed and FTTP is activated, to call back that day and create a new order so it can be completed at a later date.

0 Ratings
miles_safer
Expert
Message 7 of 18

Which does not all sound too unreasonable, apart from the possible faff of getting another bod around at a later date.
All the fibre OR guys I met and dealt with were very helpful so hope you get similar service.
0 Ratings
openwm
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 18

only time I run Ethernet is when they have bt vision or youview and it is requested by the cp
0 Ratings
BBNotSpot
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 18

As I had FTTP installled yesterday, I called BT to get my extra ethernet ports installed.  These are now scheduled for this week. Will update this post once the work is done.

0 Ratings
openwm
Aspiring Expert
Message 10 of 18

sometime they use third party companies so be interested to hear what happens on this one
0 Ratings