cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AngelM
Beginner
Message 1 of 7

FTTP in a new build

Seen a few people asking similar questions, but hoping someone who's recently been through the process can give us some insight.

We've just moved into a Bellway new build last Thursday, with FTTP built in. Up until moving in day, the cable had been coiled up outside the house and needed to be connected. An Openreach guy turned up same day and sorted that out for us - he put a box on the wall and linked up the cabling etc. To start with the box had a red light on, but he told us that within the next 12 hours they would all turn steady green. Then we'd be good to go (or so I thought).

True enough, in a few hours we had lovely green lights. So the next day I start calling suppliers, but of course it turns out the house isn't ready yet - Openreach still need to do... something.

I got passed round a few people at BT until I got through to the dedicated FTTP team, who were pretty helpful generally. The guy said he'd send a form to Openreach and got me to read out the barcode on my wall box. But when I asked how long it would take for everything to be ready for a supplier to give us TV and broadband... No-one could give me an answer.

Does anyone who's been through this have any idea on what we've got ahead of us? Smiley Happy

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 7

Re: FTTP in a new build

You'll have to wait for Openreach to reply to the FTTP team enquiry as although you have a green light the database hasn't yet been updated. This normally happens on Fridays.

As to suppliers for TV & broadband your choice will be very limited as the majority of major suppliers (Sky, Talk Talk etc) have chosen not to sell the product to their customers as yet.

More info HERE.

0 Ratings
AngelM
Beginner
Message 3 of 7

I'm OK with the limited suppliers for FTTP, that's just the way it is I suppose. Though I did hear Sky are going to start doing it soon? Hope so, because I really want to watch Game of Thrones next year, and I can't get Sky Atlantic on BT...

I'm just a bit worried by the horror stories I keep reading about it taking months to get any kind of service, and the impossibility of communicating with Openreach. I had an automated text update today to say that they're waiting on a confirmation date from Openreach and will let me know once they do. Fingers crossed something happens this Friday then.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 7

What you read here is not indicative of what normally happens as people only post when they have a problem.

Keep us updated.

0 Ratings
AngelM
Beginner
Message 5 of 7

Two weeks on, and we're still no closer, it seems. Smiley Sad

Last Friday when I spoke to BT, we were still listed as Silver status (and we need to be Gold to get a service). We actually ended up tweeting Openreach at the start of this week, and when they replied, they said we were showing up as Gold on their systems. Hurrah, we thought...

But of course when I called BT back, I was told that their systems still showed us as Silver. The lady on the phone put me on hold while she spoke to the Connections team, who told her that an engineer needed to come out and scan the barcode on the box under the stairs before anything could happen, and we should talk to the Developer. *sigh*

Now I could have sworn blind that the guy who installed the box said he did that when he put it in. And the very first call I made to BT, the guy asked me to read out the number under the barcode on the box. That was three weeks and many calls ago... So why am I only just being told about engineer visits now?

Overall, buying a new build has been relatively pain free - getting that build connected to broadband however has been the most awkward bit. There's little to no information provided by anyone about how to do this, what needs doing or how long it takes. And that goes for both the Developers and Openreach, to be fair.

Does anyone know if there's anything I can be doing to speed the process along? I've spoken to my Developer (again), and passed on the barcode etc for them to give to Openreach (again). I just feel like I'm running into a bit of a brick wall. :/

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 7

Try the FTTP helpdesk on 0800 587 4787.

0 Ratings
AngelM
Beginner
Message 7 of 7

That's the team I've been phoning every week. Smiley Sad

They guys on the end have been lovely, but all they're able to give me is that it's with Openreach, and their systems haven't been updated yet. They did say if we could find a BT hotspot we could use that wifi, but there aren't any, sadly.

I just called them a few minutes ago and there's still nothing back from Openreach. They escalated the issue again yesterday, and have raised a complaint for me today. But they said Openreach's SLA to give an update back was the 20th December, which is another week away and another week closer to Christmas when everything grinds to a halt.

We're coming up to a month now with no landline, no broadband and no TV. What we are doing though is spending a fortune in mobile data. Smiley Sad

0 Ratings