cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 14

FTTP install - Civil team needed

Hi all,

Openreach attended on behlalf of BT today to install my new FTTP broadband.

Unfortunately, the house builders have layed bricks over the entrance to the cable ducting under the drive therefore the engineer was unable to feed the fiber line through. The engineer completed the internal and exterior install except for running the cable from the underground street box to the exterior box on the wall of my house.

I was advised that the civil team would need to come out to remove the bricks and provide access to the ducting so that the final part of the install could be complete. 

I was told this would likely be a week. 

Has anyone had experience of this? Do I get contacted with a date? I've seen some posts suggesting they will just turn up - but I'm often at work so won't necessarily be home.

I assume I don't have to inform BT and Openreach will just advise them of a failed install. I have signed a form providing my consent for them to remove the bricks so maybe they will just cracks on without me here. 

A bit gutted as I was looking forward to finally enjoying FTTP! Hopefully it won't be too long...

Cheers! 

0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14

Re: FTTP install - Civil team needed

It is not unusual for a civils team to be needed. Openreach will arrange evrything. You do not need to be home for them to complete the work.

Message 3 of 14

When we switched from TalkTalk to BT we had to have Civils attend as the cable duct was blocked.  From recollection it took quite a few weeks to get things sorted but your mileage can and probably will vary..

Message 4 of 14

@WelshDave  Exactly as it depends on how busy the civils teams are in aa given area. The OP's problem is the guts who decied it was OK to cover an ifrastructure point. Cowboys.

Message 5 of 14

Good to know I won't have to arrange myself.  I got a text from BT the following day as followed:

"BT here. Just an update on your order. We need to carry out some additional work to get you connected. We are working hard to fix this but it may take a few weeks. We are sorry for the delay. You do not need to do anything and we will be in touch once it is complete. ".

Just a waiting game now! 

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 14

Honestly... I was so frustrated when I saw it! 

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 14

I think it can depend on what part of the U.K. you’re in how long it takes.

From experience a job that you’ve described has a 3 to 6 week delay time.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 14

@VikingSteve  As you said, it depends which area you are in. I've known it happen on the same day and anything up to 8 weeks.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 14

So the civil team arrived 2 weeks on the dot and were very efficient. I was out but they worked without me present and they appear to have gained access to the duct and wrapped some blue rope around the duct entrance (I assume for the fibre engineer to pull the cable through).

I assume now I just wait for Openreach to send an engineer to run the fibre cable and complete the install. I haven't heard from them but I imagine they will just turn up :).

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 14

@Datwoop  Yes, as soon as the civils team report back that the work is complete Openreach will assign an install engineer to complete the install at the next available date. You should be infomed as someone will need to be there.

Now start thinking of where you want the inside ONT to be installed. The engineer will consider this but may have good reason to not be able to so have a second option available. They will be willing to discuss all options with you.

0 Ratings