cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7

FTTP install ONT on top floor

I’ve ordered Full Fibre 500 and the engineer is booked in for the end of July.

I live in a three story house and my master socket is located in the hallway a few feet from the front door. My current setup is FTTC which is connected directly to a phone socket (has been wired appropriately) in my home office on the third floor.

I’ve done some research and understand an ONT needs to be installed and my question is: if the ONT needs to be installed/placed near the front door by the master socket, would the engineer be able to run the fibre cable externally up and round the house and bring it into the office on the third floor so I can keep the router in there? Alternatively, can the ONT itself be placed in the office with the router?

Thanks all 🙂

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: FTTP install ONT on top floor

The cable that connects the ONT to the Router is a Cat5e Cable, not a Fibre Cable. 

The only Fibre Cable is the one that goes into the ONT.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 7

@Starwire Understood. Do you know if the ONT could be placed on the third floor or if not would the engineer run the Cat5e cable externally up to that room? Cheers. 

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 7

Doubt his ladders would reach a 3rd floor. 

Could a Hoist get to it?

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 7

The engineer doesn't run Cat5e cable, he supplies the ONT and an Ethernet patch cord to connect to a co-located hub.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 7

Cool ok. If the engineer doesn’t run any cat5 then would they be able to place the ONT on the third floor? 

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 7

@JediGarry 

@JediGarrywrote:

Cool ok. If the engineer doesn’t run any cat5 then would they be able to place the ONT on the third floor? 

Very unlikely.  They should place it where the incoming service enters the property.

In short, if you want to have the Router/Hub on the 3rd floor, you would need to have the cable installed there yourself.

Kind Regards
CJT80
Say thanks by clicking the Thumbs Up icon. Have I resolved your issue? Click "Mark As Accepted Solution"
0 Ratings