Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 29

FTTP install blocked ducts

Hi,

Openreach engineers came yesterday to install the fibre to my house. Unfortunately they couldn't as the duct between my house and the chamber is blocked.

It's just outside my house which appears to be the problem and the rod came out very wet and muddy. They left and said someone will be along to sort it out.

I have a couple of questions:

Will I have to pay any extra for the duct to be unblocked or is it included in the install (which was free). Do openreach just work continue to work until they can connect my fibre or is there a point they decide it's not viable?

Will the make an appointment to come back or will they just turn up? We're in most of the time but would be nice to have some idea of when it might be 

Thanks

0 Ratings
28 REPLIES 28
Highlighted
Sage
Message 2 of 29

Re: FTTP install blocked ducts

@jparnell82wrote:

Hi,

Openreach engineers came yesterday to install the fibre to my house. Unfortunately they couldn't as the duct between my house and the chamber is blocked.

It's just outside my house which appears to be the problem and the rod came out very wet and muddy. They left and said someone will be along to sort it out.

I have a couple of questions:

Will I have to pay any extra for the duct to be unblocked or is it included in the install (which was free). Do openreach just work continue to work until they can connect my fibre or is there a point they decide it's not viable? No, you won't be charged any extra. Its only a blocked duct shouldn't be a problem.

Will the make an appointment to come back or will they just turn up? We're in most of the time but would be nice to have some idea of when it might be A new appointment should be made but I would advise ringing the FTTP team once the duct has been unblocked just in case. 0800 587 4787

Thanks

Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 29

Thanks for the reply. 

I was referring to openreach returning to dig and clear the duct. Do they generally return unannounced? Just wondering if I need to be in or not.

James

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Sage
Message 4 of 29

As it is external they won't need an appointment and you don't need to be in.

Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 29

Did you sign a form ( possibly a virtual document on a phone app ) or were asked to consent in anyway to a dig on your property (PTW , permission to work, PTD permission to dig ) if not it’s possible before they bring in a civils contractor they will try again but with bigger rods, duct camera or even a desilting machine , as already said, not really a big issue , and not in any way chargeable to you...you may find they just turn up unannounced

Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 29

I was on a conference call at the time but they explained the issue to my wife and said another team would need to return and are we ok for them to dig on our property so I assume this is enough? They didn't ask for a signature but may not be given the current situation and distancing?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 29

I had an update this morning that my order has been pushed back to the end of August which feels like a long time away.

I phoned BT who in turn spoke to openreach. They need to send a surveyor which will be before the 9th June after which BT will then update me. On Friday it sounded pretty clear what needs to be done as they identified a blockage on my property just outside the front door and someone would be clearing it fairly soon.

Is a survey usually required?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Sage
Message 8 of 29

If Openreach deem it necessary.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 9 of 29

This may seem like a bad joke but it's not, this is a real photo of the repair an Openreach sub-contracter carried out on the ducting below the pavement outside my house.

Ducting.jpg

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 10 of 29

Ouch! is that before or after?!

0 Ratings