Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 10

FTTP install

Hi all

Will soon be in a position to order FTTP.  Was hoping someone could clarify something for me?

Can we specify where the ONT is installed? The master socket comes in right next to the front door where there is no power sockets nearby. I’d ideally like it round the back of the house where the router currently is. Getting a cable internally from front to back wouldn’t be ideal so wasn’t sure if openreach can track the fibre on the outside of the property round to the back?

If it helps the fibre is presented underground.

Many thanks 

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 10

Re: FTTP install

No FTTP orders are being taken until at least June, even then, there may be other restrictions which limit the installation options.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Sage
Message 3 of 10

You cannot specify where the ONT is sited. That said most engineers will try to comply with a requet but this may not always possible.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 10

Thanks for the replies.

im aware orders can’t actually be placed at the moment - just forward planning some what.

like I said the problem with where they would “normally” put it, I have no power situated here. Was hoping a openreach engineer might read this and let me know from experience or perhaps someone else who has been in the same situation as myself

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 5 of 10

I can tell you from my experience that I was asked where I wanted the ONT, since it was an Overhead feed and just a simple hold from inside to out the OR Engi said no problemo and got it done.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 10

I am not an Openreach engineer/installer so I have no idea if this is feasible or not but something you may want to consider.

Assuming the Fibre is run under ground, if you can see where the fibre demarcation point is on the outside of your property ie on the pavement, you could consider digging a trench from the boundary of your property to where you want it to enter your house at the rear. 

When the engineer comes to install the fibre, he could use the trench and run it to where you want it to enter your house. Obviously you will need to make sure that the trench complies with the relevant specs and that your point of entry to the house can be accessed from both outside and inside with relative ease and not cutting through any other utilities such as gas pipes or electrical cables. 

It may be that there is an Openreach engineer on the forum who can advise if this feasible?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 7 of 10

Couldn’t possibly say, how longs a piece of string?

Most CP’s only pay for a Standard Installation, which states the Engineer should follow the existing route of the Copper Line. If no mains power exists by the existing NTE then the Engineer should install to the closest mains power outlet.

Although most Engineers will do what’s easier for them.

So basically no one here can predict what the Engineer will or won’t do.

Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 10

Thanks for the replies 

Hoping an Openreach engineer might be able to comment

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 10

He has done see post from @Starwire 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 10 of 10

Hi All

i recently had FFTP installed and had a similar issue though my cable came in overhead , the fibre junction box was positioned on the opposite side of the house to were it was needed so I ran the cable up the wall and through the attic and down to where I needed it the openreach engineer had a 30m pre ended fibre cable for this very purpose , I was very lucky as this was at the start of the lockdown and BT informed me that my install would not be going ahead due to openreach not being able to enter the house my previous ISP was being disconnected the next day and I was facing no connection until June , next day openreach engineer knocked my door to tell he wasn't able to enter the house I said I'll do the connections inside he agreed ''twas my lucky day!

0 Ratings