cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7

FTTP installation and speed query

B6657272-2CF8-4411-9B34-D8464A645404.jpegHello everyone, recently had FTTP installed on 900 package and speeds are not what they should be. Had the technical support team and engineer visit. Engineer Speed test at Hub showed 300-400 download speeds. Remote tech team speed test contradicts this by showing 800 to the house!

My question is regarding the fibre cable termination at the junction box to the house. The cable used has two main strands, but only one of these is terminated inside the box. The other strand was it seems purposely not terminated and cut well short of the box. Is this normal practice?

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: FTTP installation and speed query

If they have  used a ‘shotgun’ cable , it is effectively two cables in one, a fibre cable and a copper pair cable fixed together in the same overall ‘cable’, initially used when the fibre part  delivered the broadband and copper pair was used for the telephony, now telephony is DV ( digital voice ) using the fibre , the copper pair part of the cable isn’t needed anymore  so is cut off , some installs won’t use the shotgun cable , but a single fibre cable , so there won’t be anything to cut off.

As far as speed, if it works, it works at the speed selected, so if your service has been configured correctly as 900Mb, then that is the speed at your ONT, using WiFi or  your own equipment that isn’t gigabit capable may reduce the speed at the device.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 7

Thanks iniltous. I really appreciate you taking the time to reply. That all sounds plausible. I guess then the speed part is disappointing. Between the ONT and the smart hub 2 the speed degradation is 400-500.  A Further 100 is then lost through Wi-Fi. The 900 package is not all it’s advertised to be.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 7

@Cjozziewrote:

The 900 package is not all it’s advertised to be.

It's 900 mbps to the hub, having devices capable of receiving that is the tricky part, over Wi-Fi will also see a drop.
FF900 is great when you have lots of devices all using lots of bandwidth, getting 1 device to utilise the full connection usually isn't possible.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 7

Ok thanks Ritchie for

Thanks Ritchie - Will adjust my expectations accordingly.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 7

@-Richie-  A wired desktop or laptop shouldn't have a problem getting about 928Mb. You are right wireless devices won't see it though.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 7

@pippincpwrote:

@-Richie-  A wired desktop or laptop shouldn't have a problem getting about 928Mb. You are right wireless devices won't see it though.

That would depend on other factors though, is the HDD capable of it, does the network card support faster than 100 mbps, is it connected using a cat5 cable, rather than cat5e or better, is there a download source that can reliably send data that fast, my Steam/Valve updates rarely use my full speed on my FTTC connection.

0 Ratings