cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 16

FTTP installation - how long until blocked duct fixed?

So this is my first post here on the BT forum, having placed my order to move to BT's FTTP service away from Sky FTTC service on the 24th October 2019 (hopefully the year won't be important!). Order was placed without issue and the very next day an Openreach engineer turned up with a reel of fibre optic cable and a cobra rod. Sadly, somewhere in the 8 metres from the pavement to the house the ducting was blocked. 

Service was supposed to be activated on the 7th November. After having spoke to BT customer services, I was informed that Openreach would come out and complete the work to unblock the ducting last week (by the 22nd November). However, someone did turn up on the 18th, spent a short while (30 mins max) trying to get the cable to go through the duct, and then left. That's it, nothing else and it has now been a month since the order was placed.

So far, the activation date has been pushed back twice. Now it's set at the end of January 2020 and it's starting to feel like that will be optimistic. All the time I'm paying extra for FTTC broadband with Sky because I won't sign up to an 18 month contract, I'm paying extra for BT Sport on Sky as I don't have BT internet yet and I'm starting to wonder if this was a good idea.

I'm hoping for an update from BT tomorrow, but I know the work hasn't been completed (have security cameras that cover the area in front of my house (as well as vigilant neighbours).. Just wondering how long people have waited to get this sort of issue resolved..

Rich

0 Ratings
15 REPLIES 15
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 16

Re: FTTP installation - how long until blocked duct fixed?

Had a similar experience. It took about 4 weeks for Openreach to get around to digging a new trench for new ducting to replace blocked ducting when we had FTTP installed. We also transferred from Sky.

Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 16

there is no set time as from what you say openreach are going to have to dig up road/pavement to unblock the duct.

all FTTP sales/problems are dealt with the FTTP Team on 08005874787 so you need to contact them

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 16

Thanks - yes, have been phoning BT about once a week to get updates. It seems Openreach have sub-contracted the dig job to a 3rd party, so the chain seems to have at least 3 links in it at the moment.

Having waited a month so far, just wondered whether this is typical or what the average waiting time is to have these types of issues resolved. Hoping for an update from the BT Fibre team tomorrow but I'm not terribly optimistic about anything being done soon..

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 16

I'm at 4 weeks now - Openreach told BT they would have completed the job by the end of last week. So I guess BT will prod Openreach who will then prod the contractor. As someone else posted on here, I think the issue at my house is the ducting has at least two 90 degree bends that the "cobra-rod" didn't like (chap from Openreach broke his when he tried back on the 25th October).
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 16

How long it takes depends on how busy the Civils Team in your area are.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 16

@Starwire it seems how busy they are isn't the only factor. After having spoken with a fibre chap from BT yesterday, it appears Openreach need me to sign a consent form to do some digging. Odd, given I'd signed a consent form in person (to do some digging without a need for us to be present) when the first Openreach chap came round a month ago and discovered the duct was blocked.

So I'd suggest there's another factor other than how busy they are.. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 16

I’d take what Call Centre people say with a pinch of salt as they’re reading it off a bunch of garbled notes.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 9 of 16

I had somewhat similar problems having FTTP installed and in total it took two months exactly to complete.

Along the way were numerous phone calls to sort it out but patience and perseverance paid off in the end.

BT credited me with £115 to my account and my neighbour across the road had over £200 credited to his because we both were entitled to it as compensation as BT had not completed the works by the agreed date.

I assume you too will be entitled to compensation and hopefully that will offset some of your expenses to Sky.

Good luck.

Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 16

7 weeks and counting so far.. BT have escalated the problem with OpenReach and I now have my own dedicated case worker. So far no sign of this being resolved, but BT have been very good at providing compensation so far. 

I suspect it won't be sorted before Christmas now, but I have been assured that I "should" have it next year - lol!

This must be the most tricky 10 metres of land in the country (especially given the blockage is thought to be less than 1 metre away from where the external box will go on the front of my house. 

0 Ratings