cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 25

FTTP installation of ONC question

I'm thinking of getting FTTP (currently on 76Mbps fttc). 

My concern is the placement of the new equipment within my home. My current phone line, socket and router is located in the entrance hallway and served by an underground copper cable. 

Ideally I would like the new equipment installed into my living room behind/beside my TV as this is the entertainment hub of my home and would prefer hard wired connections. 

Where will they enter my house with the new cable?

Is it possible to get it fed under floors to the location I would like? 

Would I be better putting it in a cupboard and trying to run cables back to there instead? 

If so would the meter board or gas boiler interfere with the WiFi signal from it? 

Thanks for any help. 

Tags (3)
0 Ratings
24 REPLIES 24
Message 2 of 25

Re: FTTP installation of ONC question

@Wilted007 wrote:

I'm thinking of getting FTTP (currently on 76Mbps fttc). 

My concern is the placement of the new equipment within my home. My current phone line, socket and router is located in the entrance hallway and served by an underground copper cable. 

Ideally I would like the new equipment installed into my living room behind/beside my TV as this is the entertainment hub of my home and would prefer hard wired connections. 

Where will they enter my house with the new cable?

Probably the same location as the copper does.

Is it possible to get it fed under floors to the location I would like? 

Very unlikely

Would I be better putting it in a cupboard and trying to run cables back to there instead? 

Yes

If so would the meter board or gas boiler interfere with the WiFi signal from it? 

Not directly,  but the wifi signal probably won't be very effective to the rest of the house. You could always add a wireless access point in the living room if you intend running a cable anyway.

Thanks for any help. 

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 25

Not allowed to put any kind of cabling under carpets or floor boards.

Why can’t it be run externally, do you live in a mid terrace or something?

Message 4 of 25

I live in a semi detached house. The living room wall with TV is in the middle of the house. 

Coming into the living room from an external wall would be okay also and cabling internally around skirting board but that's no where near where the underground copper cable enters the house.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 25

Should still be OK to take it along the outside and enter through the living room external wall. Discuss with the install engineer. There try to be helpful.

Message 6 of 25

As Pippincp said what until the Installation Engineer arrives and speak to him of her.

Most are accommodating and will put the ONT where you’d like.

They’ll also do what’s easier for them, i.e. the other day an EU was under the assumption the ONT would have to go by the existing NTE in the middle of the hallway. To get the EZ Bend Fibre to there would’ve meant drilling out where there was less than an inch clearance between one of those cheap UPVC Door Frames and an external wall.

It was noticed that in the guys living room he had the usual smart telly, Sky, games boxes, etc. To get the EZ Bend Cable there meant a nice clear 10m run along an external wall. It was kindly suggested the ONT and Router go there as Smart TV’s work better with a Wired Connection than a Wireless one. 

Guy was chuffed to bits and thought he was being done a massive favour when in reality it was what was best for the Installation Engineer.

Message 7 of 25

If my current copper cable comes up from under the wooden floor into my hallway, how would they get the fibre optic to come up the outside of the house? So it could be run around it to the outside of my living room. 

Also is the new ONT the smaller version I've seen without the battery? 

Thanks for all the replies by the way. 

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 25

Let the install engineer worry about that. The smaller ONT is the one in use now.

Message 9 of 25

Do you live in Northern Ireland?

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 25

I've a HH4, will I get a new HH?

0 Ratings