cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 5

FTTP installation - will internal ducting be used to guide the fibre upstairs?

We've finally got FTTP in our street and I've ordered the BT 900 package. As installation will take place in a week, I was wondering what the current practices are for installing the FTTP in houses.

I've got a regular copper termination box outside at the moment (like the one on the left here https://www.ispreview.co.uk/wp-content/gallery/2019-article-illustrations/openreach_etb_csp_wall_box...)

The copper then goes inside the wall to the right and upstairs to my office where the master socket is located. As the hallway (too narrow), the garage (too cold in winter) or toilet (too many pipes to accidentally drill into) wouldn't be good ONT locations, I was wondering if the OR engineer would just use the existing internal ducting towards the master socket and replace it with an ONT?

Alternatively, the engineer would have to lay the fibre  around the outside and then drill through the external wall on the first floor to get into my office (might look a bit ugly).

Any idea if they could blow the fibre through the existing internal house ducting?

Cheers!

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Re: FTTP installation - will internal ducting be used to guide the fibre upstairs?

I seriously doubt the existing Copper Cable that goes from the Capping 101a to the NTE is ducted or in conduit.

It’ll just be behind the cavity wall installation.

Also Openreach don’t use Blown Fibre Tubing anymore, they use Connectorised Fibre. Even if it was BFT it was only ever Blown to the CSP on the outside wall anyway, the Internal Cable from their to the ONT was still pulled through the wall by hand.

The Openreach Engineer and or Contractor will have to run the Fibre EZ Bend Cable from the CSP location, which will be where the Capping 101a is to where you’d like the ONT.

That’ll mean running it round external facing walls and possibly over skirting boards and over door frames. You’ll have to discuss it with the Engineer when they arrive.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 5

Re: FTTP installation - will internal ducting be used to guide the fibre upstairs?

Thanks a lot! That's what I thought... I guess the chances of pulling fibre through the cavity (where the copper is apparently located) are marginal. Lots of unused copper and master sockets will remain in houses then 😄

I'll keep you posted what the engineer actually came up with (in case someone comes across this post at some point in the future).

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 5

Hi, I came across your post because I am in the same situation so I'd appreciate an update on the outcome?

Thanks

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 5

Hey mate - 

No internal ducting was (or could be) used - but the installers are very happy to guide the fibre from the Customer Splicing Point (CSP) to the right around the outdoor wall, then upstairs to the first floor (the outdoor wall where my master socket was located) and then through the wall..

It's not the prettiest thing I've ever seen - but the installers did a decent job sealing off the drill hole and fix the fibre to the wall in a straight line.

Hope this helps -