cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 22

FTTP installation

I currently have a small white internet box with a wire running from it to a BT home hub - both are situated in my gaming room which is upstairs in a detached house and usually get 80mbps. I have just upgraded to FTTP 500, I have checked https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL which states for installation it will be one stage.. can this be done in a way so I can keep modem/hub in room and run my gaming set up through Ethernet ? Thanks in advance 

0 Ratings
21 REPLIES 21
Message 2 of 22

Re: FTTP installation

It sounds like you already have the BT ONT box where the fibre coming into your house terminates and then you have an Ethernet cable going from this box to your router, plugged into the WAN socket

As such, if I’m understanding correctly, you have all the equipment, so your upgrade would be a behind the scenes job to open up your speed to what you’ve now signed up to

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 22

Yes it’s a little white box with one WAN socket and nothing else, that connects directly in to home hub. It’s been great and have always had consistent speeds.. just looking something with a bit more bite to it now. Fingers crossed it’s all easy enough.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 22

@ScottMckay19 wrote:

I currently have a small white internet box with a wire running from it to a BT home hub - both are situated in my gaming room which is upstairs in a detached house and usually get 80mbps. I have just upgraded to FTTP 500, I have checked https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL which states for installation it will be one stage.. can this be done in a way so I can keep modem/hub in room and run my gaming set up through Ethernet ? Thanks in advance 

You will need to discuss this with the Openreach engineer when they arrive. I assume that all you have at the moment is a standard phone socket on the wall, with the home hub and phone plugged into it?

Or do you have a white Openreach modem plugged into your phone socket like this?

modem and home hub.jpg

If you do, then that will not be needed, and an Openreach ONT will be fitted, and BT will send you a smart hub 2, which will plug into it.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 22

I have no idea how BT did this initially but there is no phone line in my gaming room, it’s literally only a small white box with a wan socket which then goes to a hub. The main phone line is downstairs, to my knowledge there is no wire connecting up to my room either.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 22

I think you need to supply some photos, of all the various boxes involved.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 22

I can’t get a picture that is small enough to post as it’s saying file size too big.. but it’s literally white socket with a wan cable connecting to my hub, no filter, no Ethernet or no other modem involved.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 22

use the camera icon

how to upload photo.PNG

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 9 of 22

@ScottMckay19 wrote:

I can’t get a picture that is small enough to post as it’s saying file size too big.. but it’s literally white socket with a wan cable connecting to my hub, no filter, no Ethernet or no other modem involved.

Like one of these?

Keith_Beddoe_0-1577035081757.jpegKeith_Beddoe_1-1577035100602.jpeg

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 22

Yes - but just with a single opening 

0 Ratings