cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 4

FTTP installs for even 36/10 ..?

Go to solution

HI all

from what I've read & been told, that it doesn't matter which package you choose (even 36/10) you will get an FTTP line installed, an engineer in a street working on a fibre pole told me this, and it even seems to imply that on their "deals" online - but seems odd to me that BTor would spend a lot of money on wages and hardware, just to put an FTTP line in for speeds your current copper infrastructure supports??

is this true?

if so, what for?

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

Re: FTTP installs for even 36/10 ..?

Go to solution

For any given speed package, the price is the same regardless of delivery medium. Obviously copper can't deliver the high speeds that fibre can.

The copper network is expensive to maintain and if a fibre network is being provided for people requiring high speeds it makes sense to use it for everyone even if they don't want the high speeds currently.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 4

Go to solution

Not every body wants/needs or can afford the higher speed packages so BT are keeping all the packages regardless of how it is delivered to the address and as has been stated the price will be the same whether it is via copper or fibre.

Eventually the entire copper network will be replaced with fibre and no doubt when that happens some of the lower speed packages will start to "disappear".

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 4

Go to solution

When a ‘Fibre First’ Exchange reaches 75% FTTP Network Coverage Openreach stop accepting orders for Metallic Path Based DSL Services, with the exception of the 25% who can’t get it yet.

As said this is because it’s not cost effective to run two Networks Parallel to each other. 

Eventually the Copper Network will be completely redundant and will be ripped out.