Message 11 of 16

Re: FTTP is on my street - but my existing line is underground

Go to solution
@imjolly - purely residential - it’s a converted farmhouse and he’s retired. 🙂
0 Ratings
Message 12 of 16

Go to solution

What does this checker site give as the survey return for the address in question ?
https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

Use the address search function, you are looking for something similar to this ( this is the result for a fully ducted house )

Our records show the following FTTP network service information for these premises:-Single Dwelling Unit Residential UG Feed with no anticipated issues.

Post the results, there is a reasonable chance the address records if they don’t match the Royal Mail postal file exactly, then ISPs won’t be able to ‘match’ the address with Openreach records or that particular address may have been outside the PON , just because near neighbours can get FTTP doesn’t necessarily mean that this address is part of the PON .

Posting the results from the checker will help clarify if the address has availability or not.

0 Ratings
Message 13 of 16

Go to solution

Many thanks @iniltous 

Not sure what you mean by "just because near neighbours can get FTTP doesn’t necessarily mean that this address is part of the PON ." The entire lane has access to FTTP, except this one house, however all other dwellings are served by overhead cable. (P.S. I know PON = Passive Optical Network).

Please see below for address search output, there doesn't appear to be any similar to text to that which you shared.

Screenshot 2023-08-18 at 15.23.23.png

0 Ratings
Message 14 of 16

Go to solution

probably because the dslchecker does not show FTTP is available

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 15 of 16

Go to solution

So the address ( according to the checker ) doesn’t have FTTP available, so no ISP will be able to raise an order , the link posted previously can be used to ask Openreach to check if there is an addressing error, it’s advisable to check that the address used on the DSL checker is the same as the Royal Mail entry.

When an area is surveyed for FTTP , ( assuming for now this address is included in the same PON as the near neighbours that can order FTTP ) just because it is potentially ‘difficult’ address to serve, doesn’t necessarily exclude it , provision /capacity is still made to include it , but any order for FTTP can come with ECC ( excess construction costs ) , if the time and expense to provide service is deemed excessive.

It does seem a fairly typical situation, a farmhouse down a relatively long private driveway, a ‘BT’ pole at the entrance, and ( probably) at some point in the past , an armoured copper cable ran from the pole at the entrance, alongside the driveway to the farmhouse, the farmer probably excavating the trench themselves, and BT/OR providing the cable to put into it , the farmer doing the reinstatement.

If FTTP is available, a CBT is provided at the pole at the entrance, the survey note indicates a KCI2 and no duct or overhead option , KCI2 is  a 2 stage install , on the initial service delivery visit  ( 1st stage ) ECC ‘s if applicable , are discussed , and any mitigation the customer could provide ( like digging a trench themselves is  taken into account when providing the costings ( or alternatively, the customer asked to accept a new feeder pole or poles so overhead could be used ) again depending on what’s required ECC may still be appropriate.
In your  case because the address doesn’t show availability, it’s all moot , until the address is confirmed as outside the current PON , or it is included , but a data error is stopping the order process, hence the need to ask OR to check.

0 Ratings
Message 16 of 16

Go to solution

Many thanks for all the helpful replies.  Especially to @iniltous who provided a link to the OR customer form.

It's still not entirely clear, as we had conflicting information from BT/OR, but they confirmed there was an address error in their database. It was fixed within 48 hours and now my neighbour can now order his FTTP service!

Once again, many thanks and very much appreciated! :-))

0 Ratings