cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Fettlin
Message 1 of 5

FTTP line not showing on other providers searches, or speed comparison sites.

Go to solution

Currently we have FTTP with a 50mbps avg speed, installed in 2016. We have reached the end of our honeymoon period and the price has now increased beyond our budget. Having discussed our options with BT, i wanted to look around and see what other service providers could offer.

None of the other providers i have contacted can 'see' our FTTP line and are adamant that the best speed we can receive is 2mbps (the old copper line speed).

Why is this? is there a blocker on the line to stop other service providers? if so, how do we go about getting it removed? i have contacted Openreach directly but a bit of advice on how to go about this would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks, Fettlin.

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES
conrad
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 5

Re: FTTP line not showing on other providers searches, or speed comparison sites.

Go to solution

A lot of the major ISPs don't actually offer widely available mainstream FTTP products which is why they only offer the slow copper service and not even FTTC . You will need to google FTTP suppliers to find out who can provide it in your area which should throw up a few of the smaller outfits.

iniltous
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 5

Re: FTTP line not showing on other providers searches, or speed comparison sites.

Go to solution
Although other providers can purchase FTTP wholesale from OR and sell it retail ( in exactly the same way as BT Consumer ) currently only a couple of ISP's have bothered to do so, and of those that have, they tend to be the more expensive end of the market, the cheaper end , like Talk Talk and Sky don't resell OR FTTP, so if you are looking at them , you will not be offered service , only the copper pair service ( if you were in a new build property you probably wouldn't have the copper pair option either )
Sky have been in the news recently saying they intend to start selling OR FTTP, but when that starts and the price is unknown ( so no use to you )
Message 4 of 5

Go to solution
As stated only very few ISP’s sell Openreaches FTTP Service.

Here is a link to Openreaches web site for those that do sell it.

Please note though some of those ISP’s will only sell it in certain areas.

One thing I can confirm is Sky will soon start selling it but there is no date as of yet when.

https://www.homeandbusiness.openreach.co.uk/fibre-broadband/ultrafast-broadband/ultrafast-fibre-buy-...
Fettlin
Message 5 of 5

Go to solution

Thank you all for your prompt responses! Looks like a bit of a pain (at least until Sky join the party) but at least that explains why i cant get any sense from other providers.

0 Ratings