cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sc00byd00byd00
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 5

FTTP not available Due to old copper Infastructure, can't seem to order or quote on FTTPoD either

Getting so fedup now with the speed i'm getting.

This has been a gripe of mine since 2011 when Infinity first started getting rolled out.

I've been in my property since 2006 and eversince I heard mention that BT Infinity was being rolled out i've been trying to get it.

When I got wind that my Exchange had been enabled for Fibre I tryed to order only to find out that i then had to wait for FTTC to be enabled. Long story short, when I got wind that the Cabinet was going to be enabled, I chucked my order in. I was then gutted to find out that due to the distance from my house to the cabinet being over 500 meters, this would mean that the Copper Loop Infrastructure is insufficient and that a Small percentage will not benefit from the new fibre installation due to “Loop Distance”.

I ended up on something called "Faster Broadband" which is giving me 22Mbps (download) which is sufficent but its the 1Mbps (upload) which is still killing me.

(That said, I can’t quite understand why my housing estate was built, that it was connected to Cabinet 7 instead of Cabinet 15)

exchange.jpg

fttpod.png

Having revisiting this issue every 6mths, I can't believe that nobody in BT can help me.

As you can see above, FTTPoD "Is Available" but I can't find out how for the life of my how I order it, or atleast get a quote for it.

Came accross this link which gave me a bit of hope that FTTPoD will now be a little more affordable;

http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2017/05/openreach-introductory-pricing-160mbps-330mbps-fttp-bro...

Can ANYBODY throw any light onto this as i'm now 6 years down the line and still no better off;

https://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Infinity-Speed-Connection/BT-Infinity-available-in-my-area-but-can-t-...

I'm actually contemplating moving house now i'm that sick of it !!

Tags (2)
0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: FTTP not available Due to old copper Infastructure, can't seem to order or quote on FTTPoD eithe

Cab 15 may have had no spare capacity, and thus you were connected to 7. Openreach's priority is providing a phone line.

There are only a couple of providers offering FTTP on Demand. Cerberus and Fluidone. The installation costs are around £6000 and the monthly rental in the region oft £360 a month, for 3 years. After the three years you can drop to a standard FTTP package.

Moving house is expensive, but so is FTTPoD. The average for the three years including installation is around £17000. Obviously if you're staying there long term, when you can drop down to a package for £40 a month, the average yearly price drops the longer you have it.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
sc00byd00byd00
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 5

Re: FTTP not available Due to old copper Infastructure, can't seem to order or quote on FTTPoD eithe

Your absolutely right in that Cab15 has no capacity, but when the properties were built in 2000, I dont get why they were connected to Cab 7 instead of 15, the estate should have had its own Cab.

When you say installation costs are circa £6k and monthly rental is circs £360p/m, yes, thats far more than I would be willing to pay. What exactly is required for fopr FTTPoD, whats the process, road digging etc ?

Are they up to date prices btw ?

I'd still like to contact somebody for an official quote, any idea how I go about that ?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 5

Only Openreach will know the answer as to why they have routed the network in the way they did. I can tell you now it wouldn't be to make it more difficult for themselves.

A fibre has to be ran to your home from the most approriate NGA (next generation access) fibre node.

This may require road closures, digging to repair/replace blocked ducts etc.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 5

BT Retail do not sell FTTP on Demand service as Webby has already posted
0 Ratings