Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 21 of 27

Re: FTTP not available to order in my street

Thanks for the tips @chemistdude!

@Lee1970  and I are past the point where the OR checker would say "faster and more reliable fibre is coming to your are soon".

The roads on our estate that can get FTTP show "Seasons 1-6 in 60 seconds?" on the OR checker.

Capture2.JPG

With one of their post codes I can go to BT's website and place an order for up to 900mb/s

Capture3.JPG

For our road the OR checker thinks FTTC being available is great news and has a form at the bottom where we can register our interest in FTTP.

Capture.JPG

There's no option to order FTTP from BT's website as it isn't available yet.

Capture4.JPG

0 Ratings
Message 22 of 27

Thats definitely an email needed to Clive Selley, the Openreach CEO. Get all your other neighbours who are affected to do the same. He will get the Infrastructure Executive Level Complaints Team to handle the complaint and tell you why you were excluded. For us it was cost/budget, though by us all mass emailing and being a polite nuisance, we got them to recost and include us in the plans.

Good luck!

Message 23 of 27

Thank for everyone's help and advice on this to date. @Anonymous and me have a lot of leads to work on. Hopefully one or more will get the desired results. I will post how it works out for us.
0 Ratings
Message 24 of 27

Just found this thread and it's very similar to mine.  Openreach emails just return the standard generic replies.

The map is also very similar with a slight twist.  All the houses that can get FTTP are supplied via the recently FTTP pods on the existing telephone poles. However any properties that don't have poles can't.  I did talk to one of the Openreach engineers who told me that the houses that are not supplied via the poles have "armoured cable" phone lines underground.  It looks like Openreach have elected to put up the FTTP on poles and those on underground cables have been by passed. He had no idea if Openreach have any plans to install FTTP to the premises with underground cables, so in effect leaving approx. 35% of the area in limbo. 

0 Ratings
Message 25 of 27

@Passed_by
The estate I live on is relatively new and all the cables are all underground. So they do install underground so that can't be an excuse, might cost more to install so that might be their reason?
0 Ratings
Message 26 of 27

Not all underground fed property’s are the same, there was a period when ‘standard’ installation practice was to use armoured cables directly in the ground , quite often cables ran through gardens and not many access points ( joint boxes ) were provided , those that were are small and not capable of housing any new equipment , later on ducted feeds became the norm, so older property’s that are overhead fed , and newer ( from the 80’s onwards ) are relatively easy to deliver fibre to, those from the 60’s and 70’s may be problematic
Obviously there are other considerations, in any list, someone will be at the top , someone at the bottom , Openreach ( not BT ) will use whatever systems & processes they see fit, to determine who gets what, and when, but given the drive to have a certain % of homes ‘done’ by a certain time, the ‘low hanging fruit’ is obviously going to be picked first, if someone is in a relatively modern home, with a ducted feed , there may be other considerations why FTTP isn’t available yet.

0 Ratings
Message 27 of 27

@iniltouswrote:

Not all underground fed property’s are the same, there was a period when ‘standard’ installation practice was to use armoured cables directly in the ground , quite often cables ran through gardens and not many access points ( joint boxes ) were provided , those that were are small and not capable of housing any new equipment <snip>

<snip> those from the 60’s and 70’s may be problematic <snip>

That's exactly it in one, thank you for the insight.  In fact there is a very small silver GPO box in our garden, which I suspect is one of the joint boxes you refer to, and the house was built in that period as well. 

Oh well, as you say, commercial pressure to get the % figures dictate the build process.  Cheers!

0 Ratings