cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 77

FTTP on demand from 2013 if you can afford it?

BT have announced that they will offer isps a product in 2013 whereby they can offer Fiber to Premises on demand. Thats the good news, the bad news is no prices given but informed guesses are around £80pm wholesale for 330Mbps and install costs of £500 to £1500 which might suit home working hedge fund managers, investment bankers etc. and you have to be in area with FTTC cabinets. No news if this will be offered to those on exchange lines though.

0 Ratings
76 REPLIES 76
Spenty
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 77

Re: FTTP on demand from 2013 if you can afford it?

I think 80 down 20 up on FTTC will do me nicely and by 2013 FTTC will likely be around 120 down 30 up anyway. Those kind of speeds are for businesses or people working from home who download and upload large databases etc.

0 Ratings
Paul1360
Expert
Message 3 of 77

wow that's a bit steep. I don't mind paying but no ta to much for me. Some peeps think I'm mad as it is going from £7 pm to £26 pm but not to me as I went from 1Mb to 38Mb lol

iechyd da

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 77

@Paul1360 wrote:

wow that's a bit steep. I don't mind paying but no ta to much for me. Some peeps think I'm mad as it is going from £7 pm to £26 pm but not to me as I went from 1Mb to 38Mb lol

iechyd da

Me too Paul.  I suspect the people who will buy this will be small businesses as it will be loads cheaper than a leased ethernet line. It might help people with long lines from cabinets but I suspect the install will then be huge.

Chris

Spenty
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 77

If you live really close to the cabinet the install may not cost that much as it will only require a fibre cable from your property to the nearby cabinet and a few other pieces of equipment. However I don't see the point as FTTC is fast enough for the moment, unless some new definition such as Super High Definition becomes available and films are like 50gb+.

0 Ratings
tecmic
Contributor
Message 6 of 77

It's probably not 'steep'!  How much does FO cable cost bt per metre?  Then the labour to replace existing o/h cable!  I hate to think what it would cost to run it underground!

As mentioned, (toungue in cheek), a home based business or Fund Manager probably wouldn't flinch at the cost versus benefit.

In any case it's my guess that FTTP will become the norm in a few years? 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 77

@Spenty wrote:

If you live really close to the cabinet the install may not cost that much as it will only require a fibre cable from your property to the nearby cabinet and a few other pieces of equipment. However I don't see the point as FTTC is fast enough for the moment, unless some new definition such as Super High Definition becomes available and films are like 50gb+.

4K TV is on the horizon, 2-3 years and it'll be quite established in the main stream IMO. Quite a few films over the next year are going to be filmed with 4k or even 5k cameras. 

If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
Spenty
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 77

Yeah but even 40mb down is more than enough to stream full HD. So 80mb should be fine when/if those new definitions become available soon.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 77

Yup! 😉
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
robby2k9
Aspiring Expert
Message 10 of 77

You'd think they'd learn from their mistakes!

They've missed so many target dates for the Infinity roll-out (over 1yr late & counting in my area)

Yet here they are making more promises about new improved services.

I need to go get a pinch of salt now!

0 Ratings