cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Paul1360
Expert
Message 11 of 77

Re: FTTP on demand from 2013 if you can afford it?

To be honest I'm happy with my speed and unless an upgrade (80Mb) is free then I'll not bother with it. Would they put in a new cab for FTTP as they have just put a new on the other side of the road, I know the 1st one is full and more people still want FTTC so wondering if there's a difference that's needed.

iechyd da

0 Ratings
cliffg
Aspiring Expert
Message 12 of 77

BT Promises 330MBps starting in Spring 2013

BT planning to increase speeds up to 330MBps next year.

It also says that BT will offer to dig up your driveway to lay the fibre, but no idea of how much it will cost.

I imagine that this will be aimed at small businesses rather than home users. It has been trialled in Cornwall and called FTTP on demand

http://www.btplc.com/News/Articles/Showarticle.cfm?ArticleID=14863CF1-DD70-4D79-83F8-2CDA88B3E51B

0 Ratings
Spenty
Aspiring Expert
Message 13 of 77

Re: BT Promises 330MBps starting in Spring 2013

There is already a thread started on this topic.

0 Ratings
cliffg
Aspiring Expert
Message 14 of 77

I think that this will be aimed mostly at small businesses, where they have many empoloyees. However not many large companies have this sort of speed. The only way to get this speed is for a leased line which would cost a fortune.

0 Ratings
Icaras
Aspiring Expert
Message 15 of 77

Re: BT Promises 330MBps starting in Spring 2013

@cliffg wrote:

BT planning to increase speeds up to 330MBps next year.

It also says that BT will offer to dig up your driveway to lay the fibre, but no idea of how much it will cost.

I imagine that this will be aimed at small businesses rather than home users. It has been trialled in Cornwall and called FTTP on demand

http://www.btplc.com/News/Articles/Showarticle.cfm?ArticleID=14863CF1-DD70-4D79-83F8-2CDA88B3E51B

They don't dig as a matter of course. If your line is fed overhead currently, then so will the fibre. If it is currently fed underground, then that's the way the fibre will go.

0 Ratings
mitchgoeswild_199
Contributor
Message 16 of 77

Its good what BT are doing to change this country. But we are still behind the likes of Estonia, Lithuania,Sweden. I cannot fault what BT are doing with there fibre network. Offering FTTC,FTTP with speeds of 40,80,110,300,330mbps in the next months and years its just mind blowing. I cannot wait for bt infinty in the next couple of months. I think I will keep on there 80mbps for the next year or two because thats more than you need in this technology. Love you BT keep it upSmiley HappyHeart

0 Ratings
dcullum
Aspiring Expert
Message 17 of 77

I'm actually amazed that they have priced the existing FTTP as low as they have! I pay £35 per month for 100Mb FTTP. The distance between my nearest fibre manifold and my house was only 10metres and the fibre was blown through my existing telecoms duct so no digging was required, but the external portion of the install still took 6 hours to complete and I'm aware of other peoples installs taking significantly longer due to collapsed ducts  and other difficulties. All of this results in a rather tenuous business case at £35 a month. I can only assume this represents an initial land grab for BT in the Super Fast Broadband market!

If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
P4PERTR4iL
Aspiring Expert
Message 18 of 77

for the people who think fttc is "enough" look at how much speed you lose when you are connected to 80mbps... you don't actually get 80mbps most people get half if they're lucky. i get 60mbps from the up to 80mbps and i don't think its "enough" since i lost 20mbps just because of an old copper wire.

and to heavy downloaders fttc is not enough, i'm not even a heavy downloader i just have a lot of people online at the same time and i manage to use about 10gb per day.. sometimes 40gb on days i download and i am seriously not a heavy downloader its just content is now all in hd and games dlc are in gigabytes. sure for hd streaming "up to" 80mbps is ok.. since netflix uses around 2mbps for streaming.. it wont be enough when the whole family starts to use it and do simular things.

i think is important to push fttp to every home possible. i know the demand is high especially when 80% of my neighborhood is on virgin media fttc and bt infinity. most people would certainly love to invest in super fast fttp as long as the price is right. with fttp there will be no issues with speed fluctuation you pay for 330mbps and you get 330mbps. on top of that its super stable low pings great for online gaming. and even if you aren't a heavy downloader, when you want to download wouldn't it be wonderful if you could download it instantly in seconds?

i'm sure it's what everyone wants.
0 Ratings
conrad
Recognised Expert
Message 19 of 77

Re message 18 by P4PERTR4iL a lot of people I know have speeds of 1-5mbps and would be happy to get FTTC if they could at speeds of 40mbps.

To me an individual who downloads 10gb daily for personal use is a heavy downloader - it is a matter of perception.

The demand for FTTP for the people above is 0% and whilst I can get irked at the sometimes slow downloading of a file I actually don't give a rats ar*e if it takes 20 seconds or is "instantly in seconds"

To me it is far more important to get FTTC to every home at the highest download speeds - my postcode is TA6 and I can't get FTTC until September at the earliest

0 Ratings
astar27
Expert
Message 20 of 77

That's Bridgwater ain't it?
0 Ratings