cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Perranoak
Contributor
Message 1 of 10

FTTP: on going siting saga

I've had an independant engineer look at where my istallation may go.

He suggested that I let OpenRetch put the ONT where they want and then cable this to a well positioned wifi router via ethernet .

This still seems a bit of a mickey-take to me though.

Why can't I have them connect the router to the only place in the house where it can work effectively rather than in a back bedroom that happens to be near their most convenient ingress point. Who is the customer here? It's like the old days of the GPO.

Does no one ever even try to make them do a proper job? Is that why I seem to be on my own in wanting good service?

Advice please.

A humble thank you.

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Starwire2000
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 10

Re: FTTP: on going siting saga

Your criticising Openreach for something an “IT Expert” suggested?

If you already wanted the ONT installed in a specific place why pay someone else for an opinion and instead just ask the Openreach Engineer when he/she arrives if it’s OK to install it where you’d like?
Perranoak
Contributor
Message 3 of 10

I did, he said no.
0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 10

Did the Openreach engineer give a reason why he/she could not install it where you wanted?

0 Ratings
Starwire
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 10

Your story has holes in it.

So did the Openreach Engineer who you now said no come before or after you Independent “IT Expert”?

0 Ratings
pippincp
Sage
Message 6 of 10

@StarwireYou might have to wait 2yrs for a reply.

0 Ratings
Starwire
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 10

Oh yeah. Well, I suppose a 2 year wait for an Engineer visit to Install FTTP is pretty much standard. 

0 Ratings
Perranoak
Contributor
Message 8 of 10

Two years! you're right, that's mental! 😮

I've been so angry about it it's taken me this long to calm down. 😡

The BT guy came first. He said it has to go here as we have to put it in the nearest place to … something - the wire from the outside I guess. He did look at where I wanted it but in a half-@rsed way as, I suspect, it would require a bit more work. So, I sent him away and cancelled the order.

After this I asked the "expert" to come and view the situation. He wasn't as dismissive as the BT guy but was so vague that I couldn't tell by the end of his visit whether I could have it (ONT - is that it?) where I wanted it or whether he could move it or whether he could install a wire to it or what.

That's why I gave up for two years!

0 Ratings
Starwire
Recognised Expert
Message 9 of 10

With the Standard Installation Option the Engineer is supposed to follow the existing Copper Cable Route and Place the ONT next to are as close to the existing NTE as possible if no Mains Power exists next to the NTE.

Sounds like he was just following the process.

0 Ratings
Perranoak
Contributor
Message 10 of 10

I see. So there is no appeal even when common sense suggests it?

The old one is, literally, inside a fitted wardrobe.

0 Ratings