cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 10

FTTP ordered modem mode and Static Ip

Go to solution

I was wondering if bt hun supplied for the 900 mb package has the ability for modem mode. 

I have netgear nighthawk router I would like to continue to use as it allows me 2.5ghz and 5ghz bands or does the bt hub 2 support this. 

Also does by allow or give an option for one static IP address if not what is my options are the common ports such as 8080 ssl and ftp open. 

As this nit avail yet to business customers why I went the consumer route. Cause I was talking to the business side and they had no idea about these speeds comming online yet. I was with virgin but found their bills flunctiate I hope and pray bt has stop its double charging practise. 

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

Re: FTTP ordered modem mode and Static Ip

Go to solution

You can use any router you want with FTTP however depending on the model your Netgear might not be fast enough to provide the full 900 speed over PPPoE.

You won't get a static IP address with BT consumer packages - you will have to use a dynamic DNS service.

Message 3 of 10

Go to solution

Why is the service not yet available to bt busienss. But usually releases their systems to Both sides well at lest they did before. 

I guess they make to much money Charging leases line rates. 

anyone from Belfast care to share their download speeds so far. 

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 10

FTTP External work meant to be today But its Raining Super Excited

Go to solution

Hi All, 

Super excited but my FTTP install is meant to be today I signed up to the 900mb and 100mb down service, Just a bit worried as most say only getting around 350 odd.

Also its raining in my local area but again no calls from the engineers to sa that they coming even though I requested they called me via the HUD  team to ensure the placement of the external cable in the correct location for my property as to where I want it to come through my wall, or will that be done by the second team due on the 30th?

Also is it true I can just connect directly into the ONAT on the wall my Netgear I had purchased a wifi disc but now thinking of sending that back or will that work with my Netgear as well?

I was on virgin cable but as BT brought there call centres back to England my area only got upgraded this month. What's everyone's view on FTTP any N Ireland people here what speeds have you been getting on FTTP.

Also how does one connect there own router to the service I have a Netgear Nighthawk https://www.pcworld.com/article/2456908/netgear-nighthawk-x6-wi-fi-router-review-the-best-router-for...

Could someone send me a  few pics as I dont want to relie on SH2

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 10

Go to solution

Hi Budy its meant to get installed this week but its raining today dont no bt's policy on that cause of the pandemic.

Its the 
Netgear Nighthawk X6 R8000  

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 10

Go to solution

This one https://www.pcworld.com/article/2456908/netgear-nighthawk-x6-wi-fi-router-review-the-best-router-for... so it appears to be ok with 1GB wan ports and lan ports

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 10

Go to solution

@david39ni wrote:

I was wondering if bt hun supplied for the 900 mb package has the ability for modem mode. 

Why would it need to? The ONT is the modem, the Hub is just a router.

I have netgear nighthawk router I would like to continue to use as it allows me 2.5ghz and 5ghz bands or does the bt hub 2 support this. 

Then continue to use it., the BT hub does support both wifi bands but you can't give the SSIDs different names.

Also does by allow or give an option for one static IP address if not what is my options are the common ports such as 8080 ssl and ftp open. 
No, only dynamic IP addressing, just use a Dynamic DNS service such as NoIP

As this nit avail yet to business customers why I went the consumer route. Cause I was talking to the business side and they had no idea about these speeds comming online yet. I was with virgin but found their bills flunctiate I hope and pray bt has stop its double charging practise. 

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 10

Go to solution
Happy days they just called to find see will be coming in afternoon. If I have my own router as the equipment not here yet does it activate now or during my second appointment which is due on the 30th
0 Ratings
Message 9 of 10

Go to solution

If you have a 2 stage install the ONT won't be fitted until the second stage.

Message 10 of 10

Go to solution

I saw  a video so bt just do it to the lamppost. I was wanting it on a wall beside my computer instead of the hallway will they not do this?

0 Ratings