cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 14

FTTP red end cat 5 question

Hi,

Im looking for some help please.  Is there any difference with the red end cat 5e cable bt sends you than a standard bought one or the yellow one provided as bt keeps saying using the red end for wan connection,

It’s just I’m in a new build and am on the full fibre 100, which is 150 mb.  I tested and only getting 94 mb.   But my ont is cancelled into a cat 5 patch on wall then runs into living room which I’ve plugged my bt hub into.  But if I plug direct into the ont port.  I get nearly my 150 mb.

so what my question is if the red end cable is special, I’m only using this from wall into hub, so from ont is std grey cat 5 and then patched to this other socket in my living room.

thanks

Ian

0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14

Re: FTTP red end cat 5 question

The Ethernet cable should be the same. The normal connection is Ethernet from ONT to the WAN port on hub then ethernet from hub to various patch panel conenction so you can get Ethernet conenction at various locations in your home

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 14

I thought so tbh, but I don’t understand why I lose 50 mb approx when run through a patch.  It shouldn’t make any difference.

im confused why.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 14

They only say to use the Red Ended one to make it, sorry try to make it idiot Proof as the WAN Port on their Routers are Red, the LAN Yellow and RJ11 Grey. Most on the time Engineers use the Grey CAT5e Cable that comes with the Huawei ONT. Nokia ONT’s don’t come with one though.

On ADSL/VDSL Faults you’d been surprised how many I’ve gone to where they’ve plugged the RJ11 Cable into either a LAN or WAN Port causing it to short.

Can’t complain though, keeps me in the job and is more money in the pension pot.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 14

ok that’s what I thought.

so the only thing now then to answer is why I’m losing 50 mb when don’t plug direct into the ont.  as I need it plugged in living room as I have other devices running on cat 5 to router.  If I plug direct into ont then that’s in the cupboard, unless I run a long cat 5 and through the wall into the ont but I would prefer to use the proper cat 5 extension installed from the ont.  

what’s your thought, could the extension not be wired correctly either end? Or is it one of those where it works or it doesn’t????

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 14

Sorry if you connect the hub direct to the ONT is the parch panel not in cupboard right beside the hub so you can then conenct Ethernet cable to the pane inputs.  If you need more connection opinion a specific room just connect a switch to the Ethernet socket and then to your devices

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 7 of 14

2018-11-30 19_19_34-Window.png

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 14

Oh what you are saying is connect hub in cupboard direct.  Then connect cat 5 from hub into the patch on wall, then where it finishes in living room, connect a cat 5 into a switch and then cable from the switch to my devices?

is that what you are saying?

thanks

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 14

Yes

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 14

Hi Nicko,

This sounds like somewhere between the ONT and the HUB there is something causing the ethernet to drop back to 100Mb not Gigabit.

How are you measuring the speed when the HUB is in the cupboard?

THEORETICALLY "cat 5" cabling may not be capable of carrying Gigabit (5e and higher are specced for gigabit), but I've never found an issue with any reasonably made off cat 5 cables - unless near the 100m limit. Usual cause is someone using an old cable that came with an ADSL router/modem which could have only 2 pairs - can never do gigabit!

If you have 2 gigabit switches a very simple test is to connect one to the living room port and one to the corresponding port at the patch panel and check the gigabit indications are lit at both ends.

Hope this helps

Dave