Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 1 of 5

FTTP rollout timescale

Hi

Does anyone know roughly how long the FTTP rollout scale is? I know I'm kind of asking how long is a piece of string as there are many variables!!

Our Aberdeenshire (Netherley, Stonehaven) street has been showing as being in scope for the last 18 months or so. About 3 weeks ago we had KN Group up our road installing some new telegraph poles. There was also some ducting put in at the end of last year. I see the poles have a notice on them sayoing that residents have 3 months to object to the poles. Is it likely that Openreach/KN Group will wait 3 months before putting any fibre up? There have also been guys up with measuring wheels walking out the roads in the area. I just have no idea how long it will be before we see the next step.

If anyone can comment on thier FTTP rollout or can give any useful information it would be greatly appreciated.

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 5

Re: FTTP rollout timescale

If there is a 3 month objection period then it is likely that absolutely nothing will happen in that time . Once that period has passed then the process should continue on its original path with whatever time frame exists. If there is an objection which is upheld you go back to square one.

Highlighted
Contributor
Message 3 of 5

Thanks for the reply. Thats pretty much what I'm expecting. I don't think anyone is planning to object, we're all so desperte for a good broadband service that we don't want to slow down the process!

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 4 of 5

It completely depends on what work they have already done. The ducting may be there but they might not have installed any equipment yet.

With FTTP even though it is fibre straight to your home it still needs to pass through a few different piece of equipment one of them being a splitter. These are put underground ( although they can be put on top of the poles but they seem to prefer UG) so would need a big hole in the ground to be dug up. Can't remember the exact number but I think the splitter can only supply 32 houses so depending on the size of the area they may need quite a few of these.

If I were you I wouldn't get my hopes up for this to be a quick process, I don't want you in 3 months time to have a disappointment.

Best way to get information about this however is to have a chat with an engineer if you see one out working. BT retail have very little info on roll out time scales.
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 5 of 5

Thank you for your comments.

Work is due for completion Feb 19, we have been waiting many years so another 9 or so months is just about bearable!! Although it would be a bonus if it came sooner.

I don't think they have installed any equipment yet, although a new grey slab appeared at one end of the UG ducting so this may be able to house a node at some point. There are approx. 30 properties up our road.

I have noticed activity in surroundig areas that looks like it could also be FTTP rolling out. Telegraph poles have had a 2nd, thicker black cable installed. Every few poles there are little  mini nodes. Also, on each pole that is near a property, there are coils of cable taped to the bottom of the telegraph pole. I suspect this may be to reach the houses as and when customers upgrade.

I have set up a community group where we can share chat whenever someone talks to an engineer. Also I have a contact in the local council who is very helpful, although he isn't always kept in the loop by Openreach!

0 Ratings