cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TomG1989
Beginner
Message 1 of 10

FTTP telephone line

I’ve just ordered FTTP Infinity 2 which will be supplied overhead from the telephone pole across the road. I’m just a bit confused as to how the voice service setup works.

My current setup is as follows- copper line through a hole next to the window. Master socket on windowsill. Extension cable halfway up the wall across to the tv unit where the router is.

I’ve read that fibre can’t be put through holes next to doors/windows as it is too delicate. I also know that you get a new faceplate for your master socket when you take the fibre voice service. So, what are my options? Ideally I’d like all the new equipment hidden behind the tv rather than extension wires trailing across the wall. Is this going to be possible?
0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
CJT80
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 10

Re: FTTP telephone line

Hi there @TomG1989

I would recommend having a look at FTTP Install and the option for I live in a house where there is no Openreach Modem installed.  Note that I beleve the process is now in 1 stage not two. 

Additionally from the same page: 

If we need to visit, the engineer will recommend where to put the equipment, but it will speed up your installation if you think about where you want it to go.

Things to bear in mind when considering where's best for your equipment:

1. We recommend you connect your computer using wires to get the best speeds
  2. The Hub and the Openreach fibre modem need to be next to each other, and both need a power socket
  3. The Openreach fibre modem needs to be wall mounted, and can't be moved once it's installed
  4. It's good to have the equipment close to your TV to make the most of broadband TV services. Or in the room next to your main computer
  5. We can use a 30m extension cable, but it can only go along walls - not under carpets or floors - so please move any furniture that's in the way

Part 5 may or may not help you. 

You maybe able to have them install the equipment near to your TV based on Part 4.

I am sure anyone who has had it installed maybe able to give you more info. 

Kind Regards
CJT80
Say thanks by clicking the Thumbs Up icon. Have I resolved your issue? Click "Mark As Accepted Solution"
0 Ratings
pippincp
Sage
Message 3 of 10

The install tech will ask you first where you want things, he/she will try to do what you need or advise accordingly. They won't just slap it in and you're stuck with it.

Explain to him/her what you want, they're a good bunch and will do their best for you.

Starwire2000
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 10

Have they actually ordered you FVA?

Overhead CBT Fibre Cable has a Copper Pair in it. BT usually only order an OGEA Product, that’s Broadband and keep your phone line on the Copper Network.

The installer will usually just strip away the Copper Pair off the Hybrid Cable and Joint it to the existing Copper Cable where it attaches to your house.

It’s normally only on Legacy FTTP where they convert you to FVA. Don’t know why?
0 Ratings
TomG1989
Beginner
Message 5 of 10

Sorry, what’s legacy FTTP? According to the useless online chat people it will be fibre voice, although it never mentioned it when I ordered it!
0 Ratings
pippincp
Sage
Message 6 of 10

"Legacy" FTTP is what Openreach engineers refer to as the the way FTTP was supplied originally in a 2 stage process.

Now it's done all in one with no customer splice point on the exterior wall.

Starwire2000
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 10

Is there an external wall behind your TV? If not and you want the ONT behind it then they’ll have to run the cable over skirting boards and around door frames. You’re best of having your NTE next to the ONT as well otherwise you’ll have a secondary cable trailing to the window ledge your sockets currently on.

It’ll look like **bleep** but to be honest I’ve found people are happy to do it if it means they can sit there running speed tests constantly and it be faster than they’re used to.
TomG1989
Beginner
Message 8 of 10

It’s just a 1 stage installation.

There’s an exterior wall behind the tv. The tv sits on a cupboard about 2 foot high. That’s what I want to avoid really...wires everywhere! Our current setup annoys the hell out of me for that.
0 Ratings
pippincp
Sage
Message 9 of 10

@Starwire2000 wrote:
Is there an external wall behind your TV? If not and you want the ONT behind it then they’ll have to run the cable over skirting boards and around door frames. You’re best of having your NTE next to the ONT as well otherwise you’ll have a secondary cable trailing to the window ledge your sockets currently on.

It’ll look like **bleep** but to be honest I’ve found people are happy to do it if it means they can sit there running speed tests constantly and it be faster than they’re used to.

There are plenty of those. Not just with BT but all ISP's. The "I want what I pay for" types when their service isn't   actaully actually affected but for the speed test result.

It also takes engineers away from those with a genuine problem.

0 Ratings
TomG1989
Beginner
Message 10 of 10

I need it to be faster than I’m used to (1mb/s if I’m lucky) but I’d rather it looked tidy!
0 Ratings