cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 13

FTTP underground question

FFTP is now available to our home and it's something that I want to get installed but have a question before ordering it. Currently our phone line comes down our lane via overhead line until the last pole where it goes down and travels the last roughly 120m underground past another property. AFAIK the cable isn't buried in any kind of duct, it's just buried. Does anyone know how this would affect me? Would BT bury the fibre line as part of the installation or would I be expected to pay extra for that? Will they send an engineer out to assess it before the install?

Thank you.

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13

Re: FTTP underground question

@Starwireis the man to answer this for you.

How do you know it is not in a duct?

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 13

If the last Pole is 120m away then they couldn’t span it overhead as the maximum length they can is 68m.

Either they put another carrier pole up, which would be the cheapest option or they’ll have to do a dig and put in 120m of duct as currently Openreach don’t have any kind of armoured Connectorised Fibre Cable.

As it’s classed as an ‘Upgrade’ there’s no charge for the work. Costs would only usually be incurred if it was a new installation and or you wanted the line plant to be installed via another method.

Message 4 of 13

Thank you for your response, I really appreciate it. Will BT send an engineer out to identify how best deal with this and talk it over with us?

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 13

BT don't have any engineers. Once you've placed your order Openreach will send out an engineer who will talk to you and arrange for any works to be done so that he can complete the install.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 13

When the PON was built they plan what they call, SNN’s Serving Network Nodes.

Basically it should’ve been picked up during Planning/Build Phase that your line is Partial Direct in Ground.

As Pippin said an Openreach Engineer would visit on a Step 1 Task. If it’s to go Underground they’ll Track and Locate the existing Cable and Mark it up for a Dig and Duct. As it’s 120m they may also need to put a joint box in the mix as well.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 13

So we called BT and after them reassuring us that this would happen we ordered FTTP. We were given an install date of 25th of May and an engineer was scheduled to come out today to assess the install.

Well we just got the text to say that the engineer has visited and completed work outside our property but we've had someone at home all day and haven't seen anybody and had no contact from BT/Openreach other than the text saying the work was completed. Our order online has also been updated to say the same.

bteng.png

I still have my concerns about how they will actually bring the fibre to the house.

What happens on the 25th when they try to feed it through the duct that isn't there?

Will my current connection be cut off on the 25th on the assumption that our Fibre has been installed and we're left with nothing?

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 13

They shouldnt disconnect you but I would actually call and check, as that is exactly what happened to us, the install date came and went, and at the end of that day our phone, tv and broadband were terminated.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 13

Our order has been updated again and now says the engineer will visit Monday.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 13

Engineer was a no show 😞

0 Ratings