cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
OldGoat
Contributor
Message 1 of 15

FTTP - wired phone bell ring?

A simple question - but doubtless a complicated answer (or more likely none...)

If my (future) connection via FTTP and FVA uses my conventional  wired handsets, will the handset 'bells' sound?

(For the sake of this thread I'm ignoring retaining my existing copper connection just for voice)

TIA

0 Ratings
14 REPLIES 14
Sage
Sage
Message 2 of 15

Re: FTTP - wired phone bell ring?

Interesting question, I would doubt it as there is no wired conecction to send the required voltage pulse down to the handset.

0 Ratings
OldGoat
Contributor
Message 3 of 15

Please Sir,

The Openreach and Huawei ONT documentation both show a telephone socket on the bottom of the control module. That presumably is for when FVA is supplied.

Given that a wired handset is connectable, how will it be tinkled??

(as copper is a pain and BT want to 'get rid' and replace it with fibre - surely somebody has thought....)

0 Ratings
Sage
Sage
Message 4 of 15

I'm merely guessing here but perhaps the router sends the ring pulse.

0 Ratings
Guru
Message 5 of 15

It's a while since I looked at the SIN doc for the product ... and my memory's getting too full to keep useless information.

But I seem to recall ... eventually BTo want to roll out a VOIP connection for the telecoms, in which case the issue goes away.

You CAN have a voip service now, I use one, but it's extra cost to what you pay now. (£8.50 a month) no call charges.

0 Ratings
OldGoat
Contributor
Message 6 of 15

Well, yes - but perhaps I'm looking too deeply and making the wrong assumptions -

• The cable comes with a copper pair (which gets stripped off - duh- that implies to me that the copper was for conventional voise comms:
  • Most installations are for digital communications in parallel to voice lines (FTTC)
  • FTTP is very new so there's not a lot of information around 
  • I assume that you can't ring a bell (for example an external bell) with a 6 volt BBU supply
  • Very few peiple use a wired handset anyway
  • I can't 'suck it and see' as FVA won't be available to me when FTTH is installed
  • Apart from the bell is there enough power to run a hands free corded phone?

I'd rather plan ahead and get whatever kit is needed befoe I go FVA - mebe to not have it in the first place.

0 Ratings
OldGoat
Contributor
Message 7 of 15

It's a while since I looked at the SIN doc for the product ... and my memory's getting too full to keep useless information.

ItIt may be useless to you but to me..... (joke)

But I seem to recall ... eventually BTo want to roll out a VOIP connection for the telecoms, in which case the issue goes away.

Isn't that what FVA is - internally at least?  currrently VOIP service are available at a considerable cost and I assume aimed at high volume users. We don't use voice much, prefer to wave flags instead.....

You CAN have a voip service now, I use one, but it's extra cost to what you pay now. (£8.50 a month) no call charges.

OK - but what rings a bell to let me know there's a call pending - I / we don't use a computer / laptop for calls (I assume that's the major use of VOIP)

0 Ratings
Guru
Message 8 of 15

Mine is run by an alternative provider ... it's a normal phone plugged into a line box that takes up a router port, so it rings just like a phone ... the provider handles the number and puts the call over the net. In and out (obviously) It would work without any computer, but why would I have broadband with no computer (joke) 🙂 To do away with a line box, you'd need a SIP VOIP phone ... but you'd still need a web-based access client account with somebody. I'm not that "au fait" with the full workings of FTTP yet ... nor that lucky. 🙂 The main thing is ... it doesn't use BLEEP,BLEEP wires! Thankfully.
0 Ratings
Sage
Sage
Message 9 of 15

@OldGoat wrote:

Well, yes - but perhaps I'm looking too deeply and making the wrong assumptions -

• The cable comes with a copper pair (which gets stripped off - duh- that implies to me that the copper was for conventional voise comms:
  • Most installations are for digital communications in parallel to voice lines (FTTC)
  • FTTP is very new so there's not a lot of information around 
  • I assume that you can't ring a bell (for example an external bell) with a 6 volt BBU supply
  • Very few peiple use a wired handset anyway
  • I can't 'suck it and see' as FVA won't be available to me when FTTH is installed
  • Apart from the bell is there enough power to run a hands free corded phone?

I'd rather plan ahead and get whatever kit is needed befoe I go FVA - mebe to not have it in the first place.

FTTP has no copper pair attatched. Never has, perhaps you are thinking about the VM variant and siamese cable.

Basically FTTP is a strand of glass fibre blown through a tube.

0 Ratings
OldGoat
Contributor
Message 10 of 15

According to the various videos / photos the corning cable (certainly used on overhead cables has a copper pair if wires which appeared to my untutored eyes to be for a conventional phone line in addition to the fibre for high speed applications. Thus I wondered whether, if the customer wanted external bells or amplified handsets the voice service would have to use the copper?
0 Ratings