cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 14

FTTP with no copper lines - switching options?

Go to solution

Hello, my mum bought a new build apartment about a year and half ago. The apartment is wired for FTTP but (as far as we understand it) no old style copper landline wire.

When she moved in her previous supplier Plusnet said they weren't able to provide a service so she took the easy route and went for the BT full fibre option with digital voice phone, which meant a new phone number.

She really doesn't need the speeds of fibre and is a bit annoyed at having to pay so much more than she used to for internet. I've gone to the sites of the FTTP providers like Sky and looked at their explicit FTTP deals and BT is still the cheapest.

But what I find confusing is what happens when I go to a site like uswitch and put in her postcode and select her address, I see lots of deals like the ones I see with my old fashioned 1970s flat, some of which include landline.

Is that because those comparison sites are just too unsophisticated to know that the property is FTTP and they're not really available, or can providers now offer slower packages plus landline over FTTP only connections? For example uswitch offers Plusnet packages, yet if I go direct to Plusnet's site and put in her postcode, select her address, and enter her DV phone number, their broadband checker throws up error messages.

It's pretty confusing trying to figure out what her options are.

Is there a simple way to find out?

If it makes a difference, the phone is very important to her so if she can change providers she needs to keep her DV number.

Thank you!

0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14

Re: FTTP with no copper lines - switching options?

Go to solution

What package have they got at the moment?

Even with FTTP you don't have to go for top speeds you can still go for the slower speeds such as the 36meg or 50 meg one

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 14

Go to solution

Thank you @jac_95 so does that mean that even minor providers like Shell Energy (which comes up in the uswitch results) can offer slow broadband and landline through an FTTP connection, and she can keep her number?

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 14

Go to solution

This is a BT retail forum, discussing other providers is not allowed. As far as BT is concerned, delivery medium is irrelevant, the price for a given package us the same regardless of whether it is delivered by copper or fibre.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 14

Go to solution

It all depends on how they've marketed their products. For example some only offer data only packages for those on full fibre. This forum can only talk about BT Consumers offerings, however one thing to note that PlusNet (part of BT Group) do now offer Full Fibre but don't have a digital voice offering at present so only do data only packages for those on full fibre.

You can even try calling the options or FTTP team to negotiate a cheaper package

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 14

Go to solution

I think you are confusing landline and line rental. Whether you have FTTP, FTTC OR ADSL you still need to pay line rental which is included in all the packages. You need the line whether fibre or copper to get your broadband.  You can however decide whether you want the ability to make/receive landline calls and without ability you may receive a small reduction in cost

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 7 of 14

Go to solution

I'm only using these other providers as examples.

All I'm trying to do is find out what options she has when she has an FTTP connection and nothing else.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 14

Go to solution

The same as copper, there is no difference.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 14

Go to solution

Thank you @licquorice 

So does that mean she can port a DV number to another provider offering slower speeds in the same way she could port her old copper based number when she switched ADSL providers in the past?

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 14

Go to solution

 Here's an example of what from the BT Consumer website what they offer to those on FTTP. 

Screenshot 2022-05-28 at 21.04.00.png

You also have social tariffs to at: https://www.bt.com/broadband/home-essentials

0 Ratings