Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
walesfarmer
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 6

FTTP without FVA

Go to solution

Hello.

FTTP broadband is now available in my area thanks to Superfast Cymru. I'm looking at the BT Infinity Unlimited 52mbps package and was wandering what would happen for voice landline?

It is a property which currently has a WLR3 (copper) line for voice and ADSL broadband. I understand that FTTP would be a new fibre line to the property, but was wandering how voice calls would be delivered. I have read that BT use Fibre Voice Access (FVA), however I would not want this because the fibre would be in a different room to the Openreach copper faceplace, and I'm not convinced of the battery backup in an emergency power cut.

Does anybody know whether it is possible to keep voice on copper, and broadband only on fibre? If so, when is the choice given or preference specified to keep both seperate?

Thankyou all in advance.

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: FTTP without FVA

Go to solution

Normally you would lose the landline but if you are willing to pay the monthly landline fee and phone package I dare say BT would be happy to take your money and leave it in place.

0 Ratings
walesfarmer
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 6

Go to solution

Their package states that it 'includes line rental' so does this mean a voice service, delivered either way?

I know Zen and others keep a copper line.

0 Ratings
walesfarmer
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 6

Go to solution

Just found out best way to answer this is to call BT and ask them. They can do a few checks (on a FTTP enabled property) and see whether FVA is available (not in my case- as I wanted). They said that I'm on a "brownfield site" and that it is not available, and just needed to choose to port my number when ordering online to move the copper line to BT from current company. It all makes sense now as I know that my soon-to-be FTTP connection will be connected to a different exchange than my copper line.

Hope this helps everyone else in the same situation.

0 Ratings
yorkspark
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 6

Go to solution

on the fttp overhead, the cable is shotgun cable with a fibre and a copper pair, the copper is split at high level and joined to existing dropwire and the fibre continues on to the new ote termination.

0 Ratings
Starwire2000
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 6

Go to solution
FVA is available on brownfield sites, I can virtually guarantee that is is but for some reason BT at the minute chose to continue to supply voice via a Copper pair?

Don’t know why because you do now have the option to import your phone number from the Copper Network onto the Fibre one.
0 Ratings